Most people will let their career just happen to them.
But if you find that your career is running out of steam, you are going to need a game plan.
Ivy Exec recently spoke to Doug Holloway, President of Multichannel Distribution at Ion Media Networks, and he offered these tips to find career success:
- Create a career map. Plan the companies you want to work for, the positions you want to hold, even the salary you want to earn. Set a timeline and milestones, and periodically check your progress.
- Do favors for people all the time. People will say nice things about you, and you will have supporters along your path. You will also learn more about your company.
- Volunteer for assignments no one else wants. You will get noticed, and if you do well, you will get plenty of accolades.
- Accept that there will be obstacles, and power through them. Learn to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Be patient and wait for the changes you need or the opportunities that are right.
- Find good mentors along the way. Network and become friends with people at higher levels in the company and industry, and used them as a personal “board of directors.’
- Get a sponsor. Although sponsors decide to support you, not the other way around, you can “position yourself to be worthy of sponsorship.”