Consulting is one of those magical industries where landing in the wrong company can be a complete disaster.
If you haven’t done your research, you can end up in an organization that demands more travel than you can handle, organizational structures that you are not used to, or might not have the same collegial feel that your last firm has.
So before you join a firm solely based on name recognition, examine which firms share your career needs. Our Top Consulting Firms to Work For ranks firms by five critical components: Quality of Work, Culture, Money, Leadership, and Prestige.
If you know which you value most, use this snapshot of top firms within each section to find the right one for you.
- Quality of Work – Cornerstone Research leads the pack in terms of work. Cornerstone provides consulting services to attorneys, providing economic and financial analysis in commercial litigation and regulatory proceedings. The firm has been described as having an “academic and learning environment.”
- Culture – The previously mentioned firm takes the top spot on our culture ranking as well. But not far behind is Vynamic, a firm that is dripping with culture. They don’t just offer healthcare services to their clients, healthy employees is also top of mind. Vynamic offers treadmills at desks, healthy snacks, and yoga breaks. One employee reported that their are “too many (perks) to list.”
- Money – While the above firms offer great compensation packages, another firm to keep on the radar is the Parthenon Group. Backed by EY, the firm offers solid salaries, “Fully paid insurance, and few expenses spared when it comes to employee satisfaction.” The one catch (that probably reflects the strong compensation), is that an MBA is practically a must, and most employees are Ivy Leaguers.
- Leadership – Censeo Consulting boasts the strongest leadership in our rankings. The CEO and senior management have all received plaudits for being open to “seriously consider” any idea or opinion. One employee reports that they practice “people-centered management.”
- Prestige – Boston Consulting Group runs away with this category – to no surprise. With over 80 worldwide offices, 9,700 employees, and a hefty number of Fortune 500 companies on its client list, BCG is one of the most easily recognizable Strategy Consulting firms that will add serious star power to your resume. But with great prestige, comes greater work hours. Expect 65 hour work weeks with 50% travel time.
Keep exploring the 2015 Top Consulting Firms here to find your best fit. Good luck!