These days, you can go to almost any major city, and find a regional office for one of the Big 4 Consulting firms.
This is great news for professionals who are seeking employment and thrive in globalized organizations. But what about those who prefer the small to mid sized companies?
The good news, is that there are several highly ranked boutique consulting firms in major cities across the states. Our recent ranking of the Top Boutique Consulting Firms to work for identifies those firms as rated by their own employees.
Here’s where you should look to find the best boutique consulting firms in the USA
It should come as no surprise that if you are in the north east, you have your pick of the litter for top firms.
- Philadelphia-based, Vynamic ranked highest for those along the Atlantic, and places second overall in our rankings of firms, large and small. A healthcare-focused firm, Vynamic is “culture obsessed,” and a great place for those who value work-life balance.
- The nation’s capital is home to Censeo Consulting Group, a firm who puts a priority on making a “positive impact and the difference we can make in the world.” Censeo specializes in working with mission-driven clients, as well as non-profits.
- In New York, you can find the HQ for Marakon. Despite its smaller size, this Big Apple firm has benefits you would expect to find in a Big 4 Firm. Marakon has rapid advancement for employees, and the opportunity to participate in bigger initiatives that you don’t get right off the bat at some of the larger firms.
- Bostonians can check two firms who finished neck and neck in the rankings, Analysis Group, and the Parthenon Group. The latter, however, was recently acquired by EY. It remains to be seen if Parthenon will maintain its boutique feel, or if its induction into the massive transaction advisory services arm will change all of that.
If you call the windy city home, you have many options. But one Chicago based firm came out on top.
- Employee Owned, West Monroe Partners fosters a “fun,” “open,” and “team-focused” environment, say respondents. Keep your suitcase packed and ready to go, as they also report plenty of travel time each month.
Heads up – one west coast firm took the #1 spot in our overall rankings, beating out the likes of Boston Consulting Group in the process.
- Cornerstone Research, based in San Francisco, provides consulting services to attorneys, providing economic and financial analysis in commercial litigation and regulatory proceedings. The quality of work, as well as culture at the firm set them apart within our rankings.
- Further up the coast in Seattle, is Point B. The firm is focused on providing appropriate work/life balance to employees, and strives to assign local consultants for assignments. Such flexibility for balance, however, appears to have come at a cost to compensation, at least with respect to other firms in the industry.
Want to see who else made the list? View our full rankings here.