Joint EMBA programs truly offer students the best of all possible worlds.
By combining the resources and networks of two world-class universities, these joint programs can give EMBA program participants an enhanced perspective on the increasingly global marketplace.
This year, the top slot on Ivy Exec’s list of joint EMBA programs goes to EMBA—Global Americas and Europe, the partnership between London Business School and Columbia Business School.
The program took top marks in three key metrics: coming in first for career advancement, curriculum, and global experience. With a small average class size of just six students, the program offers a tailor-made experience for every EMBA candidate.
Claude Fidelin graduated from the program in 2012 and is now a director at consulting firm A.T. Kearney. He credits his time in the EMBA—Global Americas and Europe Program with helping him to reach him reach new heights within his own firm.
“I was not looking to change location when I applied to do the EMBA-Global program; my chief objective was to become a partner in my firm,” Fidelin recalls. “Nowadays, having completed the program, my dreams are a lot bigger. My focus is not just on a larger pay check, but on my personal development and the positive impact I can have on the world.”
Fidelin also points to the benefits of completing an EMBA program that straddled the Atlantic Ocean.
“Studying in both London and New York was a powerful combination,” he says. “Two electives in particular stood out. In the personal leadership class we studied great leaders, from Mandela to Churchill, and considered how they could inspire our own leadership model.”
Coming in second on our ranking of top joint programs is the TRIUM Global Executive MBA, a collaboration between NYU’s Stern School of Business, the London School of Economics and Political Science and the HEC Paris School of Management.
In third place is the Global EMBA for Asia Pacific, a partnership between the UCLA Anderson School of Management and the National University of Singapore Business School.
Outside of the top three, several other joint programs deserve honorable mention.
This program at Cornell University and Queen’s University in Ontario offers its graduates the opportunity to see an average 53% salary boost. The 17-month program is divided: 40% on instruction is given in a classroom setting and the other 60% is given online. Nearly half of the class is made up of international students. One of these EMBA program participants is Javiar Vivas, class of 2017. He hails from Lima, Peru where he is able to conduct his EMBA studies.
“Johnson has a strong international reputation, and I was excited to see an EMBA program in South America,” he says and recalls a recent experience where his Lima boardroom team was able to meet the program’s cohort in Santiago, Chile.
The Alberta Haskayne Executive MBA is a partnership between the University of Calgary and the University of Alberta. The 20-month program comes in at a relatively inexpensive tuition cost of $68,000. Graduates can expect an average salary boost of about 36% after completing the program. Given the program’s location in oil-rich Alberta, it’s not surprising that 50% of its graduates go on to work in energy. However, plenty of the program’s alumni go on to stellar careers in other industries. Take Gary Kovacs, for example. He graduated in the first Alberta Executive MBA class and is now the CEO of AVG Technologies. But before taking on this role, he was the CEO of Mozilla Corporation and was instrumental in the company’s development of web browser Firefox.
Representing the HHL Leipzig Graduate School of Management, and the EADA Business School, this program focuses on leadership, global experiences, and emerging markets. To achieve this, the program runs across 21 months with 8 residential weeks in 5 different locations: Brazil, China, India, Germany, and Spain. Program participants graduate with two degrees, one from each university – a fine investment when average tuition is $47,000 USD.
“The active and participatory approach of EADA and HHL with a special emphasis on “learning by doing” together with very international and open-minded fellow students with heterogeneous backgrounds is providing a perfect framework for my further professional development” shared Dr. Bjorn Mathes, ’15, “Beside from the quality of the professors and the excellent teaching style the substantial discussions in our class and the extensive life and work experiences of all students are a real added value.”
Joint programs may offer EMBA students a globetrotting adventure that comes with unparalleled access to an international business network. These programs also leverage the best resources of several universities and can, as a result, truly put the world at your fingertips.