Wisdom from those who have gotten where you wish to go can offer anything from practical advice to a much-needed motivational boost. For those looking for a new job, planning the next step in their career, or simply trying to get through a long day – these five inspirational quotes from business leaders can provide crucial guidance.
Five Inspirational Quotes From Business Leaders
1. “What I always say is, ‘Do every job you’re in like you’re going to do it for the rest of your life, and demonstrate that ownership of it.’”- Mary Barra, Chairperson and CEO of General Motors Chairperson
In a single sentence, Mary Barra captures the importance of owning every step in your journey, even if you’re feeling stuck or frustrated. Taking ownership doesn’t mean becoming complacent, or holding yourself back. It simply means that you do the best you can in every circumstance, and make the most of each opportunity until you can propel yourself to the next one. This is a particularly helpful reminder in times such as these when events out of your control may be making it more difficult to move forward.
2. “Just because you are a CEO, don’t think you have landed. You must continually increase your learning, the way you think, and the way you approach the organization. I’ve never forgotten that.” – Indra Nooyi, Former Chairperson and CEO of PepsiCo
While Indra Nooyi is speaking specifically to CEOs, this advice is applicable and critical for professionals at all levels. Simply because you have reached a goal, or a position of success, doesn’t mean you’re done growing and developing either personally or professionally. Wherever you are in your career, you can always push yourself further and find ways to be better.
3. “We cannot limit ourselves to continuing on the path we have already opened.” – Amancio Ortega, Founder of Zara
More people than ever before are seeking new paths, new futures, and new ways forward. Considering your future as a continuation of your past can actually create limitations at the time that you want to be opening new doors. Consider how you can step off of your current path to create new opportunities.
4. “Life is too short to spend your time avoiding failure.” – Michael Bloomber, Founder of Bloomberg LP
An important reminder that playing it safe in your career could actually be holding you back from achieving your goals. For those who take risks and go outside their comfort zones, failure is inevitable but the lift that comes when you succeed is worth every false start.
5. “If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.” – Tony Robbins, Motivational Speaker and Philanthropist
This quote is a reminder that you should always try new things, even when you have a “surefire” strategy, because you never know what new opportunities they may open up.
Each of these business leaders has taken a unique journey to the place they are at today, there is no one formula that can be replicated across individuals. As you forge your own path towards your own success, here is just one last bonus inspirational quote to remind you to never give up:
“Whenever I meet a successful CEO, I ask them how they did it. Mediocre CEOs point to their brilliant strategic moves or their intuitive business sense or a variety of other self-congratulatory explanations. The great CEOs tend to be remarkably consistent in their answers: They all say, ‘I didn’t quit.’ — Ben Horowitz, Cofounder of Andreesen Horowitz
Whatever comes your way, and whatever may get in your way, not quitting is the one thing that every successful business leader has in common. Keep this in mind and you too will go far.
Need a little extra help getting to the C-Suite? Meet with an Ivy Exec Career Coach to chart your path!