Associate Director Student Activities
Syracuse, NY, USA | Syracuse University
Job Description:83 people have viewed this job
The Associate Director serves an essential leadership role within the Office of Student Activities. They will provide direct supervision to three full-time staff members as well as one graduate assistant. This position provides advising and consulting to a diverse portfolio of Recognized Student Organizations, including The Student Association, which serves as the ‘voice’ of the undergraduate student body. This position works closely with the leadership of these student organizations, to assist them with their day-to-day operation, as well as with the planning and implementation of their events and programs. This position will also work on key assessment initiatives as well as oversee various large-scale campus programs.
• Four year degree in education, counseling, or related field required.
• Advanced degree in higher education or Student Affairs preferred or equivalent work experience in a university setting.
• Experience with employee supervision and development, large scale campus programming, contract negotiations, student leadership development, technology, and assessment.
Job Specific Qualifications
• Ability to read, edit and negotiate artist or vendor contracts.
• This person will also require a current and advanced knowledge of student affairs and student activities best practices as it relates to student leadership development, implementing large campus programming, and the ability to advance the offices technology needs.
• The successful candidate will have a strong working knowledge of student development theory with the ability to work within a diverse constituency.
• An understanding of cultivating diverse, inclusive environments and empowering students to do the same.
• This position consults with a portfolio of Recognized Student Organizations (approximately 40 organizations), and assists their student leaders in enhancing their co-curricular experience and reinforcing the mission of their organization. This position will also assist in the planning and implementation of their events and programs. This position directly advises The Student Association and works closely with their leadership in developing large campus initiatives to support Diversity and Inclusion, Accessibility, Mental Health, Campus Safety, Transportation, Academic Affairs, and Orange Pride. This position also oversees the large-scale programs implemented by our Official Student Programming Board, University Union, with attendance of 9,000+ students.
• In all, this position oversees the allocation and expenditure of over $2 million dollars annually for student run events and programs.
• Oversee the advisement of University Union, the Official Programming Board at SU, and all of their programming, including the management of a $1.6 million dollars annually.
• Independently design, plan, and implement various leadership workshops and programs for our Recognized Student Organization’s that will assist students with their co-curricular experience and enhance the learning out of the classroom. These programs include, but are not limited to the Student Involvement Fair, the 44 Stars of Excellence Awards Gala, and the Pulse Performing Arts Series.
• Supervise and implement the Recognized Student Organization (RSO) Officer Training’s, Re-registration, Women’s Leadership Initiative, and the New RSO Review Board/New RSO process.
• Oversight of ’Cuse Activities (student organization data management system) which includes creating a virtual Office of Student Activities with online forms, registration processes, and information about all student organizations to promote campus-wide involvement. In addition, look for other offices/departments that would benefit from being integrated into the system such as Academic Student Organizations, SCPS, Catering, Safety, etc.
• Oversee the Office of Student Activities website to ensure current and up to date information.
• Supervise the management of all social media efforts to cultivate new users and information in an effort to continuously grow online presence.
• Supervision of three Full time staff members and one graduate assistant within the Office of Student Activities. Assist and support them with their major campus programming such as Juice Jam, Block Party, Mayfest, Homecoming, Winter Carnival, Senior Celebration, National Orange Day, etc. Create a development program as part of their learning experience and provide them with responsibilities that enhances their professional skillset.
• Coordinate the Recognized Student Organization (RSO) re-registration and recognition processes. This includes updating RSO officers in Campus Labs; providing and filing of appropriate re-registration forms; implementation and coordination of mandatory officer training’s each academic year; coordination of the NRRB (New Recognition Review Board) to review all new RSO’s seeking recognition each semester.
Already a member? Sign In