Budget Director / Senior Manager Strategic Initiatives
Syracuse, NY, USA | Syracuse University
Job Description:54 people have viewed this job
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Budget Director / Senior Manager Strategic Initiatives provides functional expertise and leadership for all financial and budget oversight of all programs and operations including the Institute for Veterans and Military Families, Office of Veterans and Military Affairs, Office of Community Engagement and Government Relations, as well as other special projects as assigned. The Budget Director is responsible for supervising a team consisting of two (2) Budget Analysts.
The Budget Director will stay apprised of financial trends and offer suggestions to enhance operations. Strong analytical skills and the ability to communicate with all levels in the organization are essential. The ability to foster strategic relationships with key leaders across the organization to identify their needs and provide a full range of business solutions is required. A consultative and collaborative approach will work best. This includes well developed interpersonal skills for educating, managing, and relating to all levels of team members across Syracuse University.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business or related field of study required
• MBA or CPA preferred.
• Minimum of five (5) years of professional experience in finance management and budgeting.
Job Specific Qualifications
• Must possess a strong financial background in budgeting and financial planning.
• Highly skilled in Microsoft Office with an emphasis on Excel or spreadsheet capabilities.
• Experience in academic units – especially those who have employed Responsibility Center Management.
• Knowledge of PeopleSoft General Ledger.
• Knowledge of Hyperion reporting.
• Manage and oversee the day to day operations of an annual budget of approximately $25 million including more than 65 external grants and contracts, federally funded projects, gifts and endowments:
-Develop, assess and evaluate financial performance of organization with regard to long-term operational goals, budgets and forecasts.
-Direct and monitor budget allocations.
-Produce and analyze financial statements and reports, provide updates to PI’s and senior leadership on a scheduled basis.
-Review and approve financial transactions for department purchases.
-Oversee department’s payroll and associated effort allocations.
-Assist with proposal budget development.
-Prepare reports for external funders and sponsored programs.
-Collaborate with funders and sponsors on requests for information as required.
-Ensure compliance with University policies regarding expenditures and procurement.
• Provide analytical support for highly complex budget, financial, and resource projects dealing directly with all the departments within the Division of Strategic Initiatives & Innovation.
• Develop and maintains a comprehensive multi-year budget forecasting and financial plan.
• Responsible for staff development, performance management and accountability of assigned budget analysts and other team members.
• Provide insight and recommendations to both short-term and long-term growth plan of organization.
• Create and establish yearly financial objectives that align with the organization’s plan for growth and expansion.
• Identify, acquire and implement systems and software to provide critical financial and operational information. Evaluate departments and make suggestions for automating processes and increasing working efficiency.
• Communicate, engage and interact with Advisory Boards, Vice Chancellor, COO and the Senior Leadership Team.
Alrdeady a member? Sign In