Collegeville, PA, USA | Ametek
Industry:Manufacturing (Light Industry / Consumer-Oriented)
Purchasing / Supply Chain / Logistics
Job Description:66 people have viewed this job
The Category Manager position is responsible for managing a significant portion of Specialty Metal Products (SMP) Division’s cost structure.Through a deep knowledge of direct and indirect categories, good supplier interfaces, and technology-based solutions, the Category Manager can creatively influence many purchase transactions across 5 facilities making a significant contribution to the success of the division.This position reports directly to the SMP Director, Supply Chain and will have the site buyers at 4 locations as direct reports.
• Manage purchases of indirect categories and select direct material items/services.
• Utilize strategic sourcing process to manage assigned categories for 5 locations by identifying stakeholders, defining and implementing a strategy that reduces cost, improves quality, delivery performance, and SMP’s competitive position.
• Identify major categories by analyzing current spend and suppliers.
• Consolidate spend to create leverage, purchasing trends and sourcing alternatives.
• Identify new high potential suppliers on local/regional basis.
• Develop key performance measures for chosen suppliers and negotiate on multiple variables to award longer-term strategic contracts that result in significant cost reduction and improved service levels.
• Manage respective supplier relationships and performance, including but not limited to dispute resolution.
• Reduce cost of acquisition by implementing appropriate technology solutions.
• Manage multiple projects, coordinate activities of team and track progress / schedules.
• Develop expertise in assigned categories through external research, analysis of cost drivers and life cycle costs.
• Provide market intelligence, Category price trends, identify category-specific best practices in procurement.
• Bachelors’ degree in supply chain, logistics, or business. 5 - 10 years of experience in sourcing function in management role, leading strategic sourcing activity in multi plant cross functional environment.
• Demonstrated knowledge of strategic sourcing process and tools and their application in restructuring indirect purchases of a multi plant manufacturing business. Track record of delivering significant cost reduction and service level improvements.
• Proven product and market knowledge relative to one or more of the indirect categories (industrial services and supplies, MRO, facilities maintenance, energy and utilities, construction, etc.) and well versed in functional strategic sourcing practices. Experience with direct production material sourcing.
• Expertise in negotiation of long-term contracts with safeguards against identified risks.
• Exposure to vendor provided or third-party technology solutions for MRO space. Ability to identify key performance measures and evaluate alternatives.
• Demonstrated ability to build teams and a cross-functional consensus. Ability to work with key stakeholders in multiple locations and at various levels.
• Strong analytical problem-solving ability.
• Ability to self-motivate, multi-task and work independently as part of a geographically dispersed, virtual team
• Willing to travel 20%.
• Strong work ethic; Willing to roll up sleeves and engage, Takes a high degree of personal responsibility; Places team achievement ahead of personal gain;
• Is confident, but never pretentious; Unquestioned ethics and respect for individual dignity;
• An energetic, self-starter; genuinely enthusiastic; strong personal work ethic; A builder of good relationships across the business and with suppliers.
• ISM C.P.M, C.P.I.M. or A.P.I certification preferred.
• Experience with shop floor purchasing, MRP/ERP systems and quality/continuous improvement initiatives.
• Proven ability to manage multiple priorities with timely results. Track record of working productively with individuals at all levels inside and outside the organization.
Already a member? Sign In