Chief Administrative Officer
San Diego, CA, USA | University of California
Job Description:61 people have viewed this job
Under the general direction of the Dean, the Chief Administrative Officer Extension is responsible for management and direction of Extension’s business support efforts including Business Development and Marketing Services, Finance, Human Resources, Facilities, Real Estate, and Design, Technology Services, and Student and Customer Services. In collaboration with the Dean of Extension, reviews and approves all new venture development including new academic initiatives, collaborations with campus and non-campus entities, and contracts and grants. Serves as principal advisor to the Dean of Extension in the development and implementation of short- and long-term strategic plans for the Division to ensure fiscal responsibility and growth. Provides strategic direction to administrative departments in coordination with academic departments. Assures operational units adapt as new market imperatives and campus academic/public service priorities change. Collaborates with the Dean in administrative leadership of all areas under the Dean’s authority and also serves as the senior business manager for the division. Liaise with Assistant Vice Chancellor Academic Affairs (VCAA).
Some evening and weekend work is required.
- Advanced degree in management or a business-related field and senior administration/operations management experience in an academic setting or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Demonstrated experience advising executive level management in business strategy, short- and long-range strategic planning, new venture development, infrastructure, and staffing. Experience with conceiving and implementing sustainable business models for new opportunities that address all direct and indirect costs at a competitive and appropriate fee for the marketplace. Experience in a continuing education environment offering both credit and non-credit coursework preferred.
- Thorough experience with financial analysis and reporting techniques; human resources and risk management planning; accounting and payroll. Extensive experience in managing the finances and budget of a large, self-funded enterprise and in assessing and managing risk. Experience determining fiscally responsibility margin targets for internal business sub-groups.
- Experienced leadership skills, including directing and developing staff members, including recruitment, selection, training and motivating staff, delegation of tasks, setting of goals/priorities, and evaluation. Demonstrated experience overseeing, leading, and guiding business units in change management to adapt to significant changes to high volume computer systems including HR, Financial, and Student Services systems.
- Proven working experience with marketing concepts including developing marketing plans, targeting audiences, and coordinating marketing events as well as knowledge of best practices in real estate development and facilities design management including financing, space planning, leases, safety, and maintenance.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of computer business networks, applications, operations, functions and software, as well as best practices in application development project management and testing/deployment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in real estate development and facilities design and management, including financing, space planning, leases, safety, and maintenance.
- Excellent ability to establish metrics for department and employee goals.
- Proven strong negotiating and decision-making skills in dealing with administrative matters.
- Exceptional analytical skills with ability to research, prepare, and present position papers on a variety of academic, institutional, and administrative issues.
- Proven success in developing and sustaining productive partnerships with peer industry or community-based organizations, including services to provide instruction, program development, and management, administrative support, or joint venturing.
- Excellent skills to work collaboratively and act persuasively in sensitive situations; skills in conflict management techniques.
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively lead, motivate and influence others and to develop and maintain high standards of customer service. Skill and tact in effectively communicating with all levels of professional and executive individuals.
- Thorough knowledge of common organization-specific and other computer application programs.
- Excellent project management skills, including the capability of managing capital projects.
- Very strong ability to quickly evaluate complex issues and identify multiple options for resolution.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices related to student services in a higher education setting.
Already a member? Sign In