Chief Electrical Engineer
Santa Clara, CA, USA | Leading Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas Company
Industry:Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas
Job Description:67 people have viewed this job
Leading Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas Company Storage (formerly Green Charge) helps power the world more efficiently and sustainably by designing, deploying, and operating our industry-leading GridSynergy® battery energy storage systems. We serve energy producers, distributors, and consumers, including utilities, network operators, and energy consumers in business and government.
Energy storage is a key enabler of a more sustainable energy future. At Leading Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas Company Storage, you can help to build this future by contributing to the development and deployment of our leading-edge energy storage technology. Our offices are humming with the creative energy of people who are motivated by our mission of helping to power the world more efficiently and sustainability with energy storage.
Leading Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas Company Storage is part of Leading Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas Company, a global energy company committed to addressing the major challenges of transitioning to a low-carbon energy system: access to sustainable energy, climate-change mitigation and adaptation and the rational use of resources. With 154,950 employees in more than 70 countries worldwide, Leading Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas Company achieved revenue of €69.9 billion in 2015.
We are looking for talented and motivated people to create the future of energy. Join a rewarding and flexible work environment that encourages innovation and creativity, and help us meet the energy challenges of today and tomorrow.
The Role: Chief Electrical Engineer
Leading Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas Company Storage is looking for a Chief Electrical Engineer to lead our project engineering team and to support product management and development. This is an incredible opportunity for the right candidate, providing the chance to help define and build a critical new market in the transitioning energy industry. Leading Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas Company Storage designs, deploys, owns, operates, and aggregates distributed, battery-based energy storage systems on both sides of the utility meter. Our systems help energy consumers in business and government manage their electricity bills and support electric service providers and transmission operators operate the power grid more reliably and cost-effectively.
Salaried – Exempt
Essential Job Functions
Develop electrical designs for energy storage systems, either stand-alone or coupled with solar or other power generation sources.
Design and develop electrical engineering packages for permitting, interconnection, EPC bidding, and construction.
Interface with utility interconnection departments, local permitting authorities, and other AHJs to facilitate permitting and interconnection approvals.
Provide leadership and guidance for project cost estimation to support sales and BD efforts.
Use modeling tools for solar and/or storage (e.g. PVSyst, Helioscope, Homer) and other power generation assets as needed
Develop and maintain technical elements of standard EPC agreements, including scope of work, technical specifications, performance testing, system commissioning requirements, documentation requirements and performance standards.
Develop and maintain design review guidelines and procedures to use with third party consultants.
Perform grid interconnection feasibility studies, prepare and manage utility interconnection applications.
Manage junior engineers and engineering consultants to do all of the tasks noted above.
Collaborate, integrate and leverage capabilities of Leading Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas Company NA engineering / technical services group and with engineering teams in other Leading Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas Company companies.
Support construction project teams by reviewing subcontractors’ and vendors’ design documents as needed.
Support procurement by developing and maintaining electrical equipment specifications such as power transformers and switchgear.
Engage and work with independent (consulting) engineers to review system construction and to ensure that built systems comply with design specifications and meet performance expectations.
- Work with Product Management, Software Engineering and Supply chain teams to develop new hardware, software and service offerings for the market.
- Evaluate and qualify various electrical equipment and vendors needed for new offerings.
- Further develop the technical standards and design guidelines for energy storage systems. This focus will include: design methodology; equipment component selection; warranty requirements; long term maintainability; performance standards and best practices.
- Provide technical advice as needed to policy and regulatory efforts to create better access to markets through adoption of technical standards and policies (e.g., grid interconnection requirements).
- Manage electrical equipment acceptance testing such as Factory Acceptance Testing and Site Acceptance Testing.
- Evaluate new technologies and contribute to the development of long term Leading Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas Company Storage product roadmap
- Carries out other duties as assigned
- Proven ability to perform the Essential Job Functions noted above.
- Excellent leadership and collaboration skills supported by proven ability to work with other functions including sales, BD, legal and supply chain.
- Comfort working in a dynamic, small company environment as well as ability to effectively work within a larger corporate parent.
- Proven ability to lead, mentor and motivate junior engineers.
Essential Physical Abilities
- Ability to meet highest attendance requirements
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbally.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments on a timely basis with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to use personal computer, calculator, etc.
- Could involve some lifting.
- Ability to travel up to 50%
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering required; graduate degree preferred.
- Professional Engineering License in at least one, but ideally several states required. Strong preference for license and experience in CA, MA and NY.
- 15+ years of electrical engineering experience required with increasing levels of responsibility.
- At least 10 years of experience focused on the design and build of distributed power generation and/or storage facilities (i.e. solar, biomass, batteries, fuel cell). Experience must include the following:
- cost estimation / value engineering for proposal and bid support
- experience working with a wide variety of both large and small EPC contractors
- management of engineering consultants and junior engineers.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience within product design group in an electrical equipment company (e.g. inverters, UPS, battery storage).
- Experience designing for resiliency (backup power, UPS, Microgrids) a strong plus.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
For this role you must have authorization to work in the United States. Qualified applicants are considered for employment, and employees are treated during employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, gender identity, or expression, genetic information or any other legally protected status.
This job advertisement is supported by the Leading Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas Company Talent Acquisition team. Agency involvement is not required. All related inquires must be done to the Talent Acquisition team, not direct to Leading Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas Company North America Managers.