Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
St. Louis, MO, USA | The Rome Group
Job Description:96 people have viewed this job
Philanthropy Missouri is a membership organization for Missouri grantmakers. Since 1970, Philanthropy Missouri (PhilMO) has helped donors to learn, connect, and act with impact. Our Members include corporations, family foundations, donor-advised funds, private foundations, tax-supported foundations, trusts, and professional advisors who are actively involved in the philanthropic sector.
Philanthropy Missouri, formerly known as the Gateway Center for Giving, is one of many philanthropy-serving regional associations across the country that connect grantmakers within a specific geographic location in order to foster alignment and collaboration.
Vision: We envision a thriving and equitable Missouri, served by a collaborative, purpose-driven, and effective philanthropic sector.
Mission: To equip, connect, and energize our members and partners for thoughtful action and greater impact.
The CEO of Philanthropy Missouri directs the organization’s team and oversees the implementation of all program and service activities; raises and stewards financial resources to enable Philanthropy Missouri to foster robust learning, regional collaboration, and impactful giving; encourages strategic action in alignment with community needs; and serves as a thought leader and public speaker on philanthropic best practices.
The new CEO will have the opportunity to create and implement thoughtful and deliberate expansion plans as the organization grows to encompass a statewide footprint.
Reports To: The Board of Directors
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible to Board of Directors for directing and implementing the purposes and policies of the organization:
• Oversees the planning, implementation and evaluation of all program and service activities for Members and partners.
• Ensures sufficient financial resources are available to sustain the organizational mission.
• Ensures that funds and other assets are maintained and disbursed in accordance with Board-approved budgets and procedures and that significant financial transactions are reported to the Board.
• Oversees and leads vision for growing organization.
Engages philanthropists as Members of the organization:
• Identifies and cultivates prospects from the philanthropic community.
• Sets annual membership recruitment and retention goals.
• Monitors Member interests and community needs and recommends programs, projects and initiatives to address them.
• Encourages full participation by Members and ensures broad access to programs and services.
Oversees communications to internal and external audiences:
• Represents PhilMO with the public, media, and other organizations to advance PhilMO’s vision and mission.
• Delivers public presentations and publishes written commentaries on services of the organization and philanthropic best practices.
• Promotes the understanding of the role of private philanthropy.
• Ensures regular communications with members on organization activities and information of interest.
• Interacts with wide range of constituencies, including senior executives in corporations, nonprofits, and philanthropic organizations.
Represents PhilMO in collaborative partnerships:
• Partners with other philanthropic stakeholders on initiatives to strengthen the philanthropic culture in Missouri.
• Serves as a liaison to a national sector network via active engagement in the United Philanthropy Forum.
• Works with other nonprofit agencies to strengthen the capacity of the sector.
Selects, employs, directs and when necessary, disciplines or discharges personnel:
• Defines duties, responsibilities, authorities and performance standards.
• Monitors and supervises employee performance.
• Manages salary and benefit packages.
Other key tasks:
• Maintains and enhances expertise through appropriate educational experiences.
• Maintains familiarity with philanthropic sector resources.
• Maintains familiarity with Member philanthropic activities and priorities.
• Minimum 8 years of experience working with donors, nonprofit service providers or intermediary organizations serving the nonprofit sector.
• Bachelor’s degree required; Graduate degree preferred. Lived experience is also relevant and encouraged.
• A passion for the organization’s mission and vision.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Excellent written and verbal communications and presentation skills.
• Nuanced understanding of the field of philanthropy (e.g. corporate social responsibility, charitable giving, impact investing, etc.) and critiques of the sector.
• Experience managing a team, working both remotely and in-person, and fostering a culture of inclusivity and camaraderie.
• Group facilitation and support skills.
• Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks.
• Strategic thinker and planner with problem-solving skills.
• High ethical standards, discretion, and respect for confidentiality of data.
• Experience in a statewide organization is a plus.
• Exercise sound, expert independent judgment within PhilMO’s policy guidelines.
• Exercise optimal judgment on use of time in relation to achievement of objectives and goals.
• Ensure a high level of accountability to the Board and colleagues.
• Exercise tact, objectivity, sensitivity, strategy and judgment in dealing with diverse Members and stakeholders in a variety of situations.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with Members, funding source representatives, employers, representatives of community organizations, board and committee members and other staff.
• Represent the agency in a businesslike and professional manner.
• Type – Full-time (exempt)
• Location – Missouri (strong preference for position to be primarily based in St. Louis region)
• Benefits – CEO will be eligible for health and life insurance benefits, paid vacation and holidays, and employer contribution to a retirement plan. Pre-approved work-related expenses, including travel and technology will be reimbursed.
• Salary – $90,000
Philanthropy Missouri is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building an inclusive team and encourage applications from candidates of diverse backgrounds
Already a member? Sign In