Chief Financial Officer
St. Louis, MO, USA | The Rome Group
Functions:Accounting / Control
Job Description:71 people have viewed this job
For over 130 years, National Benevolent Association (NBA) has been collaborating with leaders and with health and social service organizations to strengthen and transform communities through compassion, healing, and justice. NBA is the health and social services general ministry of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). NBA provides education, companionship, inspiration, and resources for organizational and leadership development for Disciples-affiliated health and social service ministries. Partnerships are grounded in NBA’s historic mission of justice and advocacy. Learn more about NBA at
NBA is seeking a strategic, experienced Chief Financial Officer to drive the organization’s financial success and to help lead the organization towards fulfilling its core values: Rooted in Compassionate Care, Accountability, Collaborative Partnerships, Accompaniment and Forward Leaning.
Reporting directly to our President/CEO, the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will:
• Serve As A Trusted Leader:
Serve as a key advisor to the CEO and as a valued member of NBA’s Leadership Team. Collaborate with the CEO and Leadership Team on developing, implementing, and evaluating the organization’s vision, mission, core values and strategic plan, with particular emphasis on all financial matters including budgeting. Represent the organization in various settings across the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), including attending the Christian Church Foundation’s Board meetings. Build collaborative partnerships, a culture of uncompromising ethics and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Direct Financial Management Strategies:
Direct and oversee all aspects of the organization’s accounting and finance practices. Provide direction to support the Finance Department’s responsive service to staff, trustees, donors, and partners. Review and assess current financial processes and explore opportunities for continuous improvement. Develop financial strategy and implement plans by evaluating trends, establishing critical measurements, and determining best practices. Direct all financial goals, objectives and manage the annual budget process. Report on past performance and prepare future projections. Maintain security and controls on accounting practices. Ensure that the organization is compliant with finance, accounting, and business requirements. Serve as the staff liaison for NBA’s Board of Trustees including working with the Finance and Audit Committees. Oversee the annual audit practice, working with external auditors, the CEO and the Board of Trustees. Maximize return on invested funds by identifying investment opportunities and maintaining relationships with the organization’s investment firms.
• Lead And Inspire A High-Performing Team:
Provide leadership, development, and day-to-day oversight for an accounting team of two. Foster a culture which promotes learning, employee engagement and teamwork. Measure performance and provide meaningful feedback. Hire and train new talent for finance team as needed in collaboration with the operations department. Lead team to build trusted relationships with internal and external constituents.
• The position is located in Saint Louis, Missouri. Relocation assistance is available. Office staff do have opportunity to work from home occasionally. There is a private office provided.
• Occasional travel will be required.
• Readiness and desire to help actively lead a high performing, North American organization.
• Minimum of eight years of progressive financial management implementation and supervisory experience.
• Passion for NBA’s mission, advocating for the well-being of humanity and creating communities of compassion and care.
• Experience in nonprofit, social services or mission-driven organizations a plus.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance or related field is required; Master’s degree and/or a CPA designation is a plus.
• Proficiency in database and accounting computer application systems.
Other Skills & Abilities:
• Values-driven leader with a high level of ethics and uncontested integrity.
• Strong strategic planning, organizational and problem-solving skills with the ability to multi-task and assimilate new information quickly.
• Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills with proven ability to cultivate and sustain internal and external relationships
Already a member? Sign In