Chief Operating Officer
Norwell, MA, USA | YMCA
Industry:Non-Profit / Social Enterprise
Functions:Operations / Production
Job Description:67 people have viewed this job
The South Shore YMCA is a YNAN size YMCA with an operating budget of $37 million serving 12 communities just south of the city of Boston. We employ 1100 employees and serve 38,000 members.
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Vice President of Operations/COO at South Shore YMCA serves on the CEO’s Senior leadership team and ensures successful operation of the YMCA branches. The Vice President of Operations/COO also positions the Y as a community convener and collaborator to address critical social issues.
The Vice President of Operations/COO is responsible for the successful operation of the branches within the Association, including supervision of executives; policy and procedure implementation, member experience, membership engagement and sales, membership development and retention, program development and quality, budgeting and financial results. The COO will help create an operational and cultural environment where staff are engaged and benchmark against best practices, provide their best effort and focus on the right things to achieve the best outcomes for members and the community. Must be comfortable utilizing software to make data driven decisions. Weekly reports should include dashboards, comparing KPI’s, and a detailed analysis of membership and program areas.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and make a difference. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
· Bachelor's degree in human services, business, social services or equivalent; Master’s degree preferred.
· YMCA Organizational Leader certification preferred.
· Five or more years of professional experience in the YMCA or another nonprofit preferred.
· Knowledge and experience in all aspects of operations, including staff supervision and development, l membership practices, program development and implementation, volunteerism, facility and property management and financial practices.
· Understanding of the nature and purpose of the YMCA and the respective roles of volunteers and staff.
· Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community; track record of building authentic, constructive relationships with others.
1. Supervises branch Executive Directors to assure sound operations.Addresses the root causeof systemic issues rather than symptoms.
2. Provides leadership and direction to the branches by coaching Branch Executives and by providing overall direction to the cause boards and volunteers.
3. Partners with the board and community to ensure the Y is identifying and meeting community needs effectively.
4. Creates organizational policies and structures that remove barriers and foster equity and inclusion for all.
5. Monitors monthly financial reports to assure that revenue targets are met and expenses are controlled.
6. Produces regular reports of Key Performance Indicators including dashboards, and detailed analysis of membership and program areas.
7. Ensures the operational growth of the YMCA through program expansion, member recruitment and retention, pricing strategies, new site development, collaborations, and mergers and acquisitions. Guides the organizationto make tough choices about what to stop, start, and continue.
8. Identifies potential areas for branch cooperative programming to accomplish YMCA goals, and works with staff groups to develop and implement programs.
9. Creates effective, sustainable, organization-wide collaborations.
10. Leads and ensures growth of the Cause Board Initiatives Association–Wide.
11. Lead Branch Executives to assure that sound operation principles are in practice. Accountable for the financial performances of these Branches.
12. Responsible for maintaining, revising, and implementing programs throughout the Association to guarantee faithfulness to YMCA purpose, high quality and maintenance of YMCA standards.
13. Facilitate and foster a team-based culture throughout the organization where everyone has responsibility and accountability for the success of the organization.
Already a member? Sign In