Chief Operations Officer
New York City, NY, USA | Leading Non-Profit / Social Enterprise Company
Industry:Non-Profit / Social Enterprise
Operations / Production
Job Description:82 people have viewed this job
Reporting to the Board of Directors and the Artistic Director and serving as an integral member of the senior management team, the Chief Operations Officer (COO) will be responsible for developing the organization’s strategic goals, implementing and overseeing Human Resources systems, managing business affairs including insurances and vendor contracts, and overseeing YAGP’s financial management strategy. This is an outstanding opportunity for a high level executive with operational experience and a proven track record of creative problem-solving and change management to join in a high-growth, mission-driven organization. While it is essential that the COO bring efficient and effective systems to increase the productivity of the organization, is it also critical that the team retain the creative spark that drives YAGP.
Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Advise the Board of Directors and key members of senior management on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and policy matters.
- Serve as the management liaison to the Board and audit committee; effectively communicate and present critical organizational matters at select Board of Directors and committee meetings.
- Contribute to the development of YAGP’s strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the Artistic Director and Board of Directors informed of all critical issues.
- Represent the organization externally, as necessary, particularly in banking, vendor contract, and lease negotiations.
- Upgrade and implement an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures.
- Implement and oversee Human Resources and office administration systems and practices.
- Manage an array of business affairs matters including the organizations insurances and vendor and contractor contracts.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute the annual budget process.
- Ensure that YAGP is adhering to the strategic plan, delivering status reports to the Board.
- Provide analytical support to YAGP’s internal management team including development of internal management reporting capabilities.
- Improve administrative and operational accounting services such as treasury management, 403-B plan, grants payment processing, payroll, accounts payable, and purchasing.
- Oversee, direct, and organize the work of the Human Resources, finance, and operations teams.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results.
- Master’s in business administration is preferred
- Minimum 10 years experience in a senior management role ideally with both external audit and in-house financial management experience gained in a high-growth organization
- Experience either as an employee or Board member of a nonprofit organization; must be familiar with nonprofit finance and accounting regulations
- Proven track record of success facilitating progressive organizational change and development within a growing organization
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Self reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance and administration initiatives
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, YAGP’s board of directors, and staff
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Passion for YAGP’s mission