Clinical Research Scientist - Invest. Cancer Therapeutics
Houston, TX, USA | M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
Industry:Healthcare - Hospitals
Job Description:79 people have viewed this job
The primary purpose of the Clinical Research Scientist position is to plan, coordinate, design, supervise, and carry out clinical research projects.Apply scientific/medical expertise and experience to plan, coordinate, and supervise the evaluation of clinical and translational research data.Ensure the quality of resulting publications.
1. Clinical and translational research projects and initiatives.
* Assist principal investigator in the development and design of clinical and
translational research to ensure value and feasibility of proposal.
* Assist principal investigator in determining the specific goals or objectives to
* Develop and maintain standard procedures and protocols to ensure the quality
and integrity of research data to be obtained.
* Identify and implement strategies to enhance collaboration between
investigators and clinical or research scientists.
* Abstract medical and scientific information and provide lay language versions
2. Clinical and translational data analysis.
* Review protocol documents including abstracts, text, and informed consent for
* Review medical records to extract data points.
* Review and evaluate clinical protocol and translational research data,
including laboratory correlates data.
* Ensure that the relevant clinical data is collected at designated stages in the
* Provide sound data analysis and interpretation of results for manuscripts and
grant research plans.
* Prepare data and information related to protocols, grants, abstracts, and
manuscript submissions, as needed.
3. Reporting, writing, and editing projects.
* Compose technical reports, abstracts, slide presentations, spreadsheets,
posters, and manuscripts for submission to corporate and federal sponsors,
conferences, and scientific journals.
* Copyedit technical reports.
* Proofread galley proofs of manuscripts nearing publication.
* Utilize technical writing ability to compose and abstract medical and scientific
information for preparation of written correspondence, reports, and protocols
under the direction of study investigator.
* Compile, write, and submit project results to principal investigator.
* Edit and/or write sections of protocols and reports as directed by study
* Prepare specific protocol reports and analysis to aid decisions regarding
* Prepare documents for publication by reviewing analyses and interpretations
of data to ensure accuracy and alignment with research data.Ensure clarity of
* Prepares abstracts of professional literature of a technical nature based on
reading and comprehension of the material.
* Ensure that the data collected reflects the requested information and can be
provided in accordance with specified guidelines.
* Compile information and draft presentations to provide the most effective
arrangement of data (financial, scientific, medical, business, and academic).
* Produce medical illustrations, publication graphics, scientific posters, and slide
presentations for national and international meetings.
* Present findings of research projects to professional groups.
4.Other duties as assigned.
The performance for all expected outcomes is measured by observation by supervisor, reports from faculty and co-workers, the accuracy and timeliness of work produced, and the demonstrated ability to effectively work under stress.The ability to deal effectively with a variety of individuals and situations is essential, as is the ability to meet conflicting deadlines and to work in stressful conditions due to deadline requirements.The position also requires one to anticipate needs, to recognize situations requiring assistance and have the ability to refer or perform any necessary tasks, and to comprehend the goals of the department/program and take the initiative in making decisions and taking actions to further these goals.
The above functions require the following abilities and skills:
* Highly developed analytical and conceptual skills paired with detail orientation,
exceptional interpersonal skills, and a demonstrated ability to creatively and
innovatively approach problem solving.
* Ability to practice independently, strong verbal and written communication
skills, organizational and critical judgment skills, and effective interactions with
patients and co-workers.
* Strong organizational skills.
* Ability to work with personal computers using standard word processing
software, spreadsheets, and programs for database and graphics usage.
* Ability to maintain a satisfactory work environment by organizing and
redistributing files, records, etc., requiring bending, stooping, reaching, manual
handling, walking, visually inspecting, extended standing, sitting and repetitive
motions.May be required to lift up to 15 pounds.
* Requires use of computer via keyboard, and operating facsimile machine,
calculator, printer, photocopy machine, etc.Requires the use of push-button,
multiple line telephone set.Must be able to master new software by utilizing
available resources (other program personnel, reference manual, training
* Ability to be clearly understood by verbal communication in face-to-face
encounters and by telephone.
* Strong command of the English language, including spelling, writing, and
verbalizing and ability to communicate well verbally and in writing.
Required: PhD or Medical degree.
Experience: Basic science lab experience in molecular oncology.
Already a member? Sign In