Control & Protection System Engineer
Stafford, United Kingdom | General Electric
Industry:Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas
Job Description:52 people have viewed this job
The Control & Protection System Engineer supports the design and implementation of HVDC Control and Protection Systems by analysing customer requirements, assessing the necessary deviation from standard solutions, modelling the proposed HVDC control system, providing requirements for the hardware and software teams to implement and validate the resulting system.
Qualifications / Essential Requirements
- Engineering degree or equivalent including power systems and power electronics subjects
- Strong sense of urgency and ability to identify and manage technical risks
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, experienced in creating and presenting technical reports and responding to clients’ technical questions
- Ability to understand and communicate customer requirements
- Able to work to deadlines under pressure whilst maintaining the safety, quality and engineering integrity of the solution
Execute, with guidance from lead engineers, the required control design, protection design & verification work packages on time and within defined budgets.
- Follow the departments standard design practices, engineering reviews and guidelines
- Prepare control, protection and sequencing strategy specifications, design, and testing with guidance from lead engineers.
- PSSE/PSCAD and PSSE/RSCAD Power system network conversion, modelling and verification.
- Plant modelling of HVDC System in various simulation tools (MATLAB, RSCAD, PSCAD etc) and its verification.
- Algorithm and state machine development in MATLB Simulink.
- Conversion of MATLB Simulink algorithms to other suitable time domain library models.
- Support improvements to existing algorithm/strategies for power fault recovery or instability issues during DPS studies.
- Support development of new strategies for control, protection, and sequencing (start-up/shut down sequence) to meet customer technical specifications if required.
- Support R&D teams to develop existing and new products and tools.
- Support continual improvement, raising the effectiveness and efficiency of the team through the introduction of tools, methods and process improvements and coordinating with the Continuous Improvement leaders.
- Cross functional training across five teams (Control Automation Systems, Control System Application, Protection System Application, Verification & Validation) will be provided.
- Studies in Electrical engineering or Power System.
Ability to define requirements and ensure they adhere to best practice
Already a member? Sign In