Deputy Chief Information Officer / Associate Vice President
Syracuse, NY, USA | Syracuse University
IT / Information Technology
Job Description:91 people have viewed this job
Reporting to the Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer (VP/CIO), the Deputy Chief Information Officer (Deputy CIO) works with Information Technology Services (ITS) managers and teams to plan, develop, coordinate, and execute strategies consistent with the mission and purpose of both the department and Syracuse University.
The Deputy CIO will have direct oversight responsibilities for the ITS Enterprise Application Systems (EAS) and Enterprise Process Support (EPS) teams, coordinating resources, services, and budgets pertaining to administrative applications, enterprise systems, and project management/process support.
The Deputy CIO is a strategic leader with demonstrated experience in enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems and services in the context of higher education, IT project governance and planning, vendor relationship management, application development and change management, budget management, and organizational strategic planning. As a member of the CIO’s staff, the Deputy CIO participates in executive-level decisions and development of strategies and budgets to achieve the objectives and goals of ITS to best support the mission of the University. The Deputy CIO must demonstrate a strong customer service orientation.
• A Master’s degree in a relevant discipline is required.
• A minimum of five (5) years of senior IT leadership and minimum eight (8) years of information technology experience, preferably in a higher education setting.
Job Specific Qualifications
• Experience with the implementation, management and support of higher education ERP systems and services, with knowledge of both on premise and cloud deployment models and strategies.
• Ability to work effectively at all levels of the organization and influence others to progress toward a common vision.
• Experience with principles, practices, methods and techniques applicable to long-range and strategic technology planning.
• Experience planning and managing large budgets.
• Demonstrated experience leading successful implementations of large-scale IT systems or services in a diverse and complex organization.
• Experience establishing and maintaining effective vendor relationships.
• Demonstrated integrity and ability to act as trusted advisor at the most senior levels in an organization with the ability to represent the CIO.
• Experience with ADA compliancy, specifically section 508 and WCAG 2.0.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills as evidenced in application materials and interview meetings.
• Must possess a demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity, inclusivity, employment equity, and staff development; and the ability to establish good working relationships with faculty, staff, students, administrators, alumni, business partners and other institutional constituencies.
• Provide direct oversight for the following ITS teams: Enterprise Application Systems (EAS) and Enterprise Process Support (EPS).
• Responsible for the budgetary, financial, and human resource management for the EAS and EPS teams.
• Facilitate and improve annual and long-term campus-wide IT project governance and prioritization.
• Advise, offer guidance, and provide organizational perspective to ITS Associate CIOs and their departmental planning efforts.
• Participate in the management of ITS senior staff meetings and chair the meetings in the absence of the VP/CIO.
• Represent the VP/CIO in his absence.
Strategy and Planning
• Implement the vision of ITS and the VP/CIO and work in collaboration with other campus IT leaders, actively engaging in planning, developing, and managing the University’s technology services.
• Work closely with the ITS senior management team in planning, directing and implementing short and long range objectives, including budget planning, and evaluating results and progress toward implementing the ITS strategic plan.
• Work closely with campus stakeholders and constituents to ensure that the applications and technology ITS delivers includes deep stakeholder input and meets customer expectations.
• Serve as a senior advisor to the VP/CIO.
• Develop organizational vision and ITS strategic and operational plans, aligning priorities and actions in support of University-wide goals.
Collaboration and Outreach
• Assist and support the VP and CIO in building and maintaining partnerships throughout the campus community.
• Represent ITS on University-wide strategic and operational task forces and committees, as appropriate.
• Consult with external technology experts to identify emerging IT trends and opportunities and evaluates them within the context of the University’s and ITS’s strategic goals and direction.
• Foster relationships with regional and national IT associations, such as EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and EAB, as well as other institutions of higher education.
• Establish, maintain and promote strong partnerships with strategic IT vendors and agencies.
Alrdeady a member? Sign In