Director Academic Operations
Syracuse, NY, USA | Syracuse University
Job Description:51 people have viewed this job
The Director of Academic Operations manages and oversees all work related to the scheduling, enrollment forecasting and registration restrictions for courses in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications’ curriculum, both residential and online. Manages part-time faculty hiring process in accordance with Adjuncts United contract to assure compliance with all aspects of the contract. Serves as Academic Integrity Coordinator for the Newhouse School’s Office of Academic Affairs to work with faculty regarding suspected infractions. Serves as a FAST coordinator for the Newhouse School to oversee faculty/staff access to the University’s admissions and/or academic data. The Director of Academic Operations supervises 2-3 staff members in the Office of Academic Affairs.
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in a higher education field preferred.
• Minimum of five (5) years progressive administrative experience required.
Job Specific Qualifications
• Extensive professional level academic management skills including the ability to work independently, exercise sound judgment, observe confidentiality in personnel and fiscal matters, and apply discretion in interactions with constituents.
• Expertise in use of database and University course scheduling computer programs (including room reservation system).
• Academic Affairs experience strongly preferred.
• Ability to collaborate and participate with all levels of University faculty and staff.
• Process management experience desirable.
• Strong organizational, time management and communication (oral and written) skills required.
• Tools and training required: PeopleSoft HRSA, R25, MS Office Suite, Excel, Word, Access, Outlook
• Independent oversight in managing the course scheduling process for the Newhouse School.
• Evaluates classrooms and assign each course section according to specific curricular and teaching requirements.
•Supervises production of database to track faculty residential loads (including overloads) and 2U teaching assignments. Provide data on available seats for minors and transfer students in required courses to Assistant Dean for Student Services.
• Communication with all full- and part-time faculty regarding class assignments, classroom assignments, final exams, any special requests/needs for courses.
• Forecast trends and determine needs of each graduate and undergraduate program in the Newhouse School based on enrollments and curricular changes.
• Analyze, forecast, and determine study abroad interest and growth in NYC and LA campus Newhouse programs, and the subsequent impact on enrollment of main campus courses.
• Determine impact of changes in enrollment on course availability and determine if additional sections of courses have to be created, and faculty hired, to offer the proper number of classes to meet enrollment demands. Analyze the impact of new students (i.e., freshman, internal transfers, etc.) on courses needed. Determine and analyze the impact on curriculum when students change majors and how it affects the number of sections of various required courses for majors and programs.
Already a member? Sign In