Director, Assay Automation & Compound Screening
San Francisco, CA, USA | Vir Biotechnology
Industry:Pharmaceutical / Biotech
Job Description:57 people have viewed this job
Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus.
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
Vir Biotechnology is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Director who will lead a multidisciplinary team to support high throughput screening utilizing robotic liquid handling platforms. Candidates will be skilled in both biochemical and cell-based assay systems and have experience in the application of laboratory automation to these assays in both walk-up and integrated platform scenarios. As a team leader, you will lead a highly collaborative group integrated with novel drug discovery teams focused against harnessing innate immunity to combat infectious diseases.
- Collaborating closelywith project teams to optimize the screening strategy integrating high throughput assays and lower throughput orthogonal assays for efficient compound profiling
- Development of novel and cutting-edge assay and automation strategies as well as miniaturization of existing binding, biochemical and cell-based assays including infection assays
- Establishing and optimization of liquid handling protocols and data flow and consistency
- Leads building of screening infrastructure including small molecule screening library collections, lab instrumentation and robotic platforms, and development of novel data handling and analysis workflows
Qualifications and Experience:
- Ph.D. in Automated Sciences and/or Biologywith relevant automation and in vitro assay experience; MS with at least 10 years of industry experience in high throughput screening. Engineering degrees considered as well.
- Experience in lab automation, robotic integration in high throughput screening platforms, and data capture systems
- Extensiveknowledge and broad practical experience in cell and molecular biology techniques (establishing cell lines, cell culture, transfection and transduction, reporter assays, protein expression and purification, fluorescent cell staining, automated microscopy, biochemical and biophysical assays)
- Experience miniaturizing assays or adapting traditional biochemical and cell-based assays into HTS amenable formats
- Track record in establishing a screening cascade for small molecule characterization including cellular target engagement and surrogate efficacy models.
- Experience with characterization of the molecular mechanism of action of small molecules in a drug discovery context.
Vir’s compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person’s experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer.We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation
Already a member? Sign In