Director, Business Development & Strategy
Birmingham, AL, USA | Non Profit Organization
Industry:Non-Profit / Social Enterprise
Job Description:57 people have viewed this job
Our client, Keecha Harris and Associates, Inc. (KHA) is a national consulting firm that leads organizational development, project management, and research and evaluation projects for publicly and privately funded efforts across a broad range of topics. KHA has worked with multi-billion dollar foundations with a reach across the sector of over $300 billion of the $1 trillion in U.S. philanthropic assets. Clients include the Blue Shield of California, Annie E. Casey, Robert Wood Johnson, W.K. Kellogg, William and Flora Hewlett, John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur, David and Lucile Packard, and Schmidt Family foundations.
Under the leadership of the CEO, the Director of Business Development & Strategy plans and directs all aspects of KHA’s business development policies, goals, and initiatives to drive KHA’s visibility and services into new and emerging markets. The Director is responsible for finding new business opportunities, building KHA’s brand and collaborating on initiatives that align KHA’s service offerings to meet market needs. The Director will provide leadership to a team of business development and communications professionals to meet the organization’s short and long-term business development goals. The ideal candidate for this role must be an exceptional, results-oriented leader, with an established professional network and a proven track record in sales and/or winning contracts and grants, developing new systems and services that support growth, working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders, forging productive partnerships, and managing large scale, complex initiatives. Ideal candidates will bring high energy, compassion and accountability to the spaces they create.
The Director of Business Development & Strategy is a new position, reports to the CEO and is part of KHA’s leadership team. This position will have 6-8 direct reports. This position is a salaried position with profit sharing based on generated sales.
The Director of Business Development & Strategy is responsible for the following:
• In collaboration with the CEO and Director of Programs, establish overall direction and growth plan for KHA’s core business service offerings
• Grow business pipeline by improving on and creating new revenue generating strategies. Responsible for meeting revenue targets and growth goals
• Conduct introductory and follow up meetings with prospective clients, securing RFPS and working with KHA’s proposal team to create proposals for new business
• Research market trends, competitor landscapes, industry leading practices and more, to ensure KHA business strategies meet the needs and demands of the market.
• Conduct financial feasibility studies and assess markets for business opportunities
• Develop annual projections of revenue and costs, update and monitor for monthly business review and quarterly forecasting.
• Responsible for providing regular updates on the positioning of the company regarding pricing, competitiveness and market conditions
• Partner with the leadership team to prepare and implement multi-year, programmatic, strategic, and financial plans for the company.
• Cultivate relationships and serve as a strategic advisor to clients with a focus on consultant-style business development
• Represent KHA in initial meetings with potential new clients and development opportunities
• In collaboration with the Director of Programs, maintain close contact with clients to ensure their expectations are met or exceeded
Communications and Branding
• Oversee and provide leadership on KHA’s communication and branding strategies, ensure all external facing materials meet brand and reputation standards
• Increase overall brand awareness, program presence and revenue generation for all programs and services.
• Provide leadership to Communications team responsible for external communications to include social media campaigns, thought leadership, and media content.
• Lead Marketing team to develop sales materials and campaigns to expand the sales pipeline.
• Design, develop and execute processes and systems that optimize work, performance, and accountability for business development and communications teams. Ensure integration and alignment of resources across teams
• Utilize proven performance management tactics to evaluate the skill, experience, and professional development needs of team
• Develop and support growth plans for staff that identify and address skill gaps, are person-centered, value driven and ensure equity, diversity, and inclusion
• Develop objective performance measurements across all projects and initiatives in order to ensure consistent, high-quality evaluation and goal setting for team
• Train, coach, and mentor staff on an on-going basis
• Dealing with Paradox: Can act in ways that seem contradictory; can be very flexible and adaptable when facing tough calls; can combine seeming opposites like being compassionately tough, standing up for self without trampling others, setting strong but flexible standards; is adaptable and can discern nuances in complex situations; is seen as balanced despite the conflicting demands of the situation.
• Global Perspective: Think beyond national and cultural boundaries; show an interest in other cultures by asking questions and doing background research; change approaches to meet the unique needs of other regions or markets; monitor global trends that may affect the organization; adapt behavior to fit different cultural norms; integrate local and global information for multisite decision-making; discern and manage cultural influences on business practices and marketing.
• Building Effective Teams: Blend people into teams when needed; create strong morale and spirit in team; share wins and successes; foster open dialogue; let people finish and be responsible for their work; define success in terms of the whole team; create a feeling of belonging in the team.
• Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years’ experience in business development and strategy, sales, marketing, fundraising or similar roles
• Clearly demonstrated business development and selling experience in the range of $8M+ / annually
• Strong leadership, communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
• Experience leading in remote work environments and managing multi-disciplinary teams
• Demonstrate strong financial analysis skills, proven budget development and management experience, and facility with financial statements
• Demonstrate excellent and proactive planning and project management skills
• Experience negotiating and closing complex contracts and sales deals
• Exhibit high self-motivation and ability to work and plan independently as well as in teams
• Success as an inspirational leader who has successfully motivated staff to achieve and sustain excellence
• Extensive and proven management experience including ability to motivate, lead, set objectives, train, develop and manage the performance of a large multi-disciplinary team
• Demonstrate experience conceiving, developing and implementing strategic initiatives within an organization
• 7+ years of experience in business development and strategy, sales, marketing, fundraising or similar roles
• Clearly demonstrated business development and selling experience in the range of $10+ million/year
• Superior leadership skills with demonstrated experience leading a high performing team in a virtual environment.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and strategic listening skills are necessary to effectively exercise tact, discretion, judgment, and diplomacy when interacting and/or negotiating with all levels of internal and external stakeholders.
Already a member? Sign In