Director, Cloud Service Owner
Waltham, MA, USA | National Grid
IT / Information Technology
Job Description:63 people have viewed this job
National Grid is looking to continuously improve upon our Cloud journey as we undergo significant transformation to meet the growing needs of our Business. The Cloud Service owner will play a crucial role to help fulfil this mandate. This is a highly visible function within the Cloud and Hosting team.
The person in this role owns the design, execution, rollout and evangelism of the cloud operating model. The primary role is overall responsibility for ensuring Cloud Services are fit for purpose and operating to standards. The day-to-day responsibilities of the role involve ensuring our public clouds are fully available for the running of National Grid’s application estate. This role will predominantly interface with the Cloud and Hosting Delivery Centre extended team and operational teams to ensure the
service is performing to expectations.
The Cloud Service Owner will work as the primary interface between senior stakeholders within IT and the NG Business to clearly define, communicate, document, and manage service requirements. They will clearly articulate service attributes, SLA, and provide document on high level service release milestones. They produce clear line of sight into cost forecast, resource demand and provide feedback to the engineering teams. Key partners include product owners to maintain and deliver the product backlog and continual service improvement, IT Finance, IT Business Strategy, IT Audit and Compliance, and Enterprise Architecture. The Service Owner will also work closely with or directly manage IT Communication and Business
Enablement functions to ensure various modes of communication and training are used to market the Service, facilitate and measure adoption and success. The Ideal candidate is someone that has 3-5 years previous experience with service ownership but still has a strong technical background from a previous engineering or architecture role.
· Proactively monitor and manage the smooth running of the cloud infrastructure environment within predefined
thresholds and standards
· Ensure that public cloud services are available and appropriate to meet the business need, especially in scalability,
performance, security and resilience aspects.
· Provide technical support to ensure continuous system availability within defined service level agreements as agreed
with 3rd parties and the business users.
· Monitor and manage technical escalation for Cloud Operations, ensuring timely liaison with vendors regarding
problems, fixes, and required enhancements
· Work with others to identify new tools and process to improve the cloud platform and automate processes;
· Drive the adoption and articulate the risks/opportunities from leveraging Cloud Infrastructure.
· Represent cloud operations team on change management meetings for any changes to production environment
· Identify and management of Cloud Infrastructure-related risks and escalation of identified risks within the Risk
· Maintain an up-to-date understanding of the main technology base, and a general understanding of the other technology bases which together form the overall technical direction · Monitoring the performance of the service and Continuous Improvement of the service. · Report on problems/issues/changes to the overall service. · Owns the service to insure service is available and operational · Manages or works closely with architecture, engineering, product owners, finance, and delivery functions to provide the end-to-end product experience · Provide insights into product, technology and market trends. · Responsible for thoroughly learning and understanding Grid business’s needs, and translation of business needs to service release · Oversight of Service financials, cNPS metrics, OKR and KPI metrics, product ROI and TCO. · Work with IT Communications and Business Enablement teams to develop materials to market the product · Drives to a smooth product transition to operations and support via infrastructure operations best practices such as ITIL, and a high capability maturity
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
Has proven leadership, relationship, communication, and presentation skills.
Establishes relationships and maintains contacts with people from a variety of backgrounds. Effective and sensitive communicator in different societies and cultures.
Conveys confidence and professionalism, positively influencing and persuading others to take a specific course of action.
· Demonstrable knowledge of the IT and utility marketplace & trends
· Experience of project and programme delivery, with responsibility of scope management.
· Must have significant experience in a similar outsourced environment, either customer side, supplier side or ideally
· Must have the technical understanding necessary to hold your own with vendors/providers.
· Proficient in methods and techniques for structured reviews, including reviews of non-functional requirements,
technical documents, test plans, business cases and other key deliverables.
· Experience of IT Architecture (and underlying frameworks such as TOGAF) including the development (and ensuring
adherence to) Architecture principles and standards.
· Experience with working in an on-shore/off-shore based model
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills
· Excellent stakeholder management and influencing skills at colleagues, partners / vendors & project sponsors.
Bachelor’s or higher
· Demonstrate the application of National Grid values in all interactions with colleagues, partners and stakeholders.
At least 3-5 years’ experience as a technical Service Owner with focus on Global Cloud Platforms Prior experience in managing hybrid cloud virtual data centre utilizing both public and private clouds. Understand Hyper Scale Cloud : Azure, AWS, GCP Exceptional leadership communication, partnership building and executive presence Strong business acumen and customer focus Strong influencing, program and change management skills
Already a member? Sign In