Director Experiential Programs
Syracuse, NY, USA | Syracuse University
Job Description:106 people have viewed this job
The Director of Experiential Programs will oversee Whitman’s commitment to experiential learning, both on-campus and off-campus, such as in New York City. Primary responsibilities will include managing and coordinating with appropriate stakeholders for the delivery of Whitman programming in New York City and other locations globally, overseeing the sourcing and staffing of appropriate projects from a diverse portfolio of companies for project-based learning, providing necessary support for the successful completion of the projects, and preparing and coaching students to represent the Whitman School at national competitions (such as case competitions). The Director monitors trends to help shape priorities for new programs/services and new employer partnerships. This position will represent Whitman with diverse groups of stakeholders and will require coordination with academic programs, corporate relations, and alumni offices, as well as students at the undergraduate and Master’s levels. The Director of Experiential Programs will ensure high professionalism and provide a strategic perspective on developing a pipeline of attractive and challenging programs and projects that will increase students’ applied learning, with the purpose of offering transformational learning experiences.
• Bachelor’s degree is required;
• Minimum of 8 or more years of experience in business, and a strong understanding of higher education;
Job Specific Qualifications
• Strong business acumen and project management skills, including planning and budgeting, as well as demonstrated ability to conduct strategic analyses and action plans;
• Proven ability to think strategically, collaborate, build and effectively manage relationships with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders, including fostering team culture and trust;
• Outstanding interpersonal skills to work with a variety of audiences and represent the Whitman School with multiple constituents;
• Energetic, self-starter, who will take personal initiative and drive results;
• Flexible and strategic, with the ability to juggle numerous competing priorities, create and implement plans, and follow-through with assigned tasks and projects;
• Must possess a high level of integrity, respect, humility, and able to maintain a high level of confidentiality;
• Successful candidates will also possess the demonstrated ability to work successfully in a team environment with high level of collaboration, as well as ability to adhere to deadlines.
• Travel — mostly domestic but some international over time – will be required.
• Oversee all logistics in New York City in preparation for each semester of the program, which may include (but is not limited to) securing housing for participating students, identifying and securing space for classes to meet, designing and coordinating an orientation session when the students arrive, etc.
• Assist in the development and implementation of student programming in New York City and other locations around the world. Includes coordinating programs with appropriate stakeholders, acting as `boots on the ground’ for practical student support purposes, and ensuring smooth delivery of programs.
• Cultivate relationships for applied learning opportunities, in partnership with the Director of Corporate, Director of Alumni Relations and Assistant Dean for Development.
• Coordinate with the Director of Career Services to ensure that experiential learning and internship opportunities are substantive and in line with Whitman School objectives.
• Work with Executive Director and other units across the University to build and strengthen Syracuse University’s New York City’s presence. This includes assisting in the organization of special events, connecting with alumni and facilitating the development of new academic programs.
• Work with Associate Dean and faculty curricular boards to understand individual programmatic and course objectives and seek out appropriate and substantive learning projects that will help offer outstanding learning experiences and further student professional development.
• Source and scope experiential learning business projects with well-respected, highly reputable companies, startups and NGO’s that will provide transformational applied learning experiences for students. Includes understanding and acting upon differences in programmatic needs and student abilities, including for Undergraduate and Master’s students (on campus and online).
• Champion development of skills needed for student success in project-based learning, such as teamwork, applied research, project scoping and delivery, and professional presentation skills.
• Coordinate with Director of Corporate Relations to ensure relationships are in line with the goals and objectives of the Whitman School
• Partner with the appropriate Master’s and Undergraduate offices and programs (such as Goodman IMPRESS) to ensure that students develop soft skills needed to enhance positive learning experiences.
• Develop structure and process to ensure that students are offered the opportunity to participate in appropriate competitions (such as case and business plan competitions) that fit within their program of study.
• Promote national case/business plan competitions and consulting club opportunities are made available and supported by students.
• Offer coaching and mentoring to students to allow them to be competitive and represent the Whitman School at these competitions.
• Travel with students as staff chaperone, as appropriate.
Already a member? Sign In