Director, Geospatial Content
Missoula, MT, USA | onXmaps
Industry:Computer Software / Computer Games
IT / Information Technology
Job Description:64 people have viewed this job
Headquartered in Montana with offices in both Missoula and Bozeman, onX is rooted in a passion for the peaks and rivers surrounding us. We bring our devotion to the outdoors to work daily with a singular, powerful goal; to inspire others to find their own adventures off the pavement. Through the melding of technology and passion for the outdoors we enable people to craft rewarding, dynamic outdoor experiences.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR
onX is seeking a Director of Geospatial Content responsible for leading the Geospatial Content team and defining the strategic vision and direction for product content at onX. This role requires the ability to lead a large and growing team, create business plans to determine the impact of strategic content options, and direct the research, development, and operationalization of new and existing content sources. The role is responsible for both geospatial content (such as land ownership, roads and trails, and points of interest) and non-geospatial specific content such as rich content attribution of places (including long-form descriptions, photos, difficulty ratings, open/close dates, etc.) as well as remote sensing data including aerial and satellite imagery. Managing spatial and statistical analysis of data is also a fundamental responsibility of the role. In addition to managing the team, cross-functional communication is critical in this role including working directly with key stakeholders, product management, engineering, product design, marketing, brand, and customer service teams to ensure alignment.
The ideal candidate will have a strong customer orientation along with a background in geospatial technologies and content management, and a focus on leveraging data to drive decisions and prioritization. An ability to lead and influence multi-functional teams across departments is paramount to ensure success both internally and externally. This position will report to the VP of Product.
Missoula, MT or Bozeman, MT preferred. Fully remote (with a minimum of quarterly travel) will be considered for strongly qualified candidates. Generous relocation assistance is available for qualified out-of-state hires.
(Essential Job Duties)
• Manage and lead the Geospatial Content team to ensure overall team success
• Define and track team Objectives and Key Results (OKRs), focusing on engagement, conversion, and retention metrics.
• Define the vision and strategy for content taking into account company objectives, key stakeholder input, customer feedback and product usage, internal feedback, and competitive and market dynamics.
• Become deeply familiar with the target market, customer needs, and competitive products
• Ensure cross-functional leadership and communication across engineering, UX and product design, geospatial content, marketing, business development, and customer support.
• Work with Product Management, Design, and Engineering to help define and influence the product development lifecycle process at onX, ensuring content quality, delivery and updates are a successful part of the process.
• Define and track content usage and engagement metrics (including key geospatial KPIs) as well as the impact on customer acquisition, conversion, and retention to understand overall business impact and data health.
• Define standards for geospatial quality, methods, and processes
• Employ an experimentation approach to test and measure the performance of new tactics and strategies.
• Continually strive to improve the customer experience, ensuring content is trusted, comprehensive, and up to date.
• Work with the business development team to identify new content opportunities.
• Manage and communicate the 12-month content roadmap across the organization, ensuring alignment with key business stakeholders.
• Education: Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university required.
• Experience:Eight (8) to ten (10) years of leadership experience in geospatial technologies and processes (GIS) is required.
o In addition, content and/or product management experience is required, preferably at a high growth consumer or SMB software, mobile application, or consumer internet company or consultancy.
• Five (5) or more years experience as a Senior Manager or Director managing a large, multi-functional team.
• Knowledge and experience with agile Scrum product development processes.
• Entrepreneurial approach with a high tolerance for growth, change, and experimentation.
• Self-starter with the ability to find solutions for unstructured problems.
• Strategic thinker with the ability to put together strategic content and business plans.
• Collaborative, well organized and efficient, and has a strong bias for action.
• Strong verbal presentation and written communication skills.
• MBA or Masters in GIS, Business, Computer Science or Engineering
• Passion for outdoor recreation activities
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
The following physical requirements represent those that are required to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Sitting - [90%]
• Standing - [0%]
• Walking - [10%]
• Bending - [Occasionally]
• Kneeling - [Some]
• Lifting - [Up to 25 pounds]
• Reaching - [Regularly]
• Telephone Use - [Yes]
• Computer Use/Manual Dexterity - Yes
• Travel - Depends on location
WHAT WE ARE OFFERING YOU
• Competitive salary and opportunities for growth
• Comprehensive medical, insurance, and wellness benefits
• Four weeks paid family leave
• 401k matching at 100% the first 3% you save and 50% from 3-5%
• Company-wide outdoor adventures twice per year
• Amazing outdoor industry discounts
• Summer hours for salaried employees
onX COMPANY VALUES
Our principles guide the decisions making of our company. They define the culture at onX, what we have learned through experience, and are the code by which we operate. They are fundamental, enduring and actionable–a benchmark by which we measure the team behavior and performance.
• We put the customer first.
• We are passionate.
• We win as a team.
• We take ownership.
• We work with urgency.
• We are curious and seek the truth.
• We innovate & take risks.
Already a member? Sign In