Director, Intellectual Property Strategy
San Francisco, CA, USA | Freenome
Industry:Pharmaceutical / Biotech
Job Description:60 people have viewed this job
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
About the Role
Freenome is hiring a Director, Intellectual Property Strategy to lead the company IP strategy and prosecution of applications and registrations. You will also conduct diligence exercises for potential licensing targets and conduct patent landscape reviews. You will serve as a point of contact between internal teams and outside legal counsel supporting efforts to advance IP portfolio growth. While collaborating with outside counsel and internal groups, you will help identify innovations for protection by patents and foster a culture of IP and innovation at Freenome. This position plays an integral role in supporting the company’s worldwide intellectual property, litigation and licensing efforts to help ensure freedom-to-operate and protect Freenome’s intellectual property.
- Work in partnership with outside counsel and other team members to formulate and drive case strategies
- Perform continuous Intellectual Property risk assessments for new and future technology
- Work closely with the company's product and strategy team to help define the company's strategic intellectual property roadmap
- Perform intellectual property landscape and freedom to operate analyses in a broad range of scientific and technological areas, with emphasis on molecular diagnostics, AI modeling, multiomics (genomics, methylomics, proteomics, etc.), and cancer detection
- Collaborate with research and product development teams to identify and capture high-value innovation
- Partner with the company's science teams to identify patentable areas for critical technology, harvest IP, and guide filing strategy
- Manage resources for the preparation, filing, prosecution, strategy, and management of U.S. and international patent, trademark, and trade secret portfolios
- Manage the disclosure and submission process to ensure the generation of high-quality assets in a timely and cost-effective manner
- Provide patentability and freedom to operate assessments, validity and infringement analyses and, working individually and in cross-functional teams, provide business-oriented solutions
- Propose solutions to complex IP challenges around trade secrets, patentability, freedom to operate, and defensibility
- Perform intellectual property assessments and diligence for key transactions including partnerships and M&A
- Negotiate, implement, and monitor compliance of IP licenses
- Partner with the company's transactional team to develop, implement, and manage policies for intellectual property licensing and compliance
- Manage contract review and advise on licensing matters
- Provide pre-litigation and litigation support, including analysis of third party infringement through active involvement in litigation matters
- Monitor and analyze competitive intellectual property and product offerings
- Support Freenome’s overall IP awareness by contributing to training, seminars, etc.
Your background, perspective and experience:
- Doctorate in a life science discipline is a huge advantage (but not required) and a working understanding of molecular biology, biochemistry, immunology, cellular biology, protein chemistry, or related field
- J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited law school, admission to practice law in a U.S. jurisdiction (ideally California)
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- Five + years of IP experience in biotech or IVD industry and/or a law firm serving biotech or IVD clients with US and international prosecution is essential
- Experience with NGS, genomics, proteomics technologies, and in-vitro diagnostics preferred
- Strong analytical and research skills, including experience with patent and non-patent literature databases
- Experience performing freedom-to-operate and patentability analyses
- Outstanding attention to detail combined with the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate and communicate clearly across the organization
As a condition of employment, you agree to know and comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all employees who work on-site and/or attend work-related events to be fully vaccinated and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible. Company employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. Absent a reasonable accommodation or legal exception, you agree to provide proof of your vaccination status and to be fully vaccinated by your first day on-site, in accordance with our policy.If you are currently eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you also agree to provide proof of having received a booster.If you are not yet eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you must provide proof of receiving a booster within two weeks of becoming eligible.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome.Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.
Already a member? Sign In