Director, Legal Compliance
Silver Spring, MD, USA | Non Profit Organization
Industry:Non-Profit / Social Enterprise
Legal / Compliance
Job Description:56 people have viewed this job
HIAS is seeking a Director, Legal Compliance to help lead our efforts globally to operate ethically and in compliance with applicable law, rules, regulations and organizational policies. This is a new position necessitated by HIAS’ rapid global growth and reach. The Director, Legal Compliance will oversee investigations into allegations of fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, and whistleblowing; they will also ensure that HIAS is compliant with its governance and legal obligations globally, train staff on ethics and relevant policies, advise management and staff on pertinent laws, regulations and policies, and draft new policies and procedures as needed. This position sits in the Office of General Counsel and reports to the General Counsel.
Note, this position is based at our headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland or our office in New York, New York, and we will consider a remote option for applicants who live outside of commuting distance to either of our offices and are based in other states in which we are registered (Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin).
• Maintains a current working knowledge of various laws, regulations and standards that affect the enterprise-wide compliance program, including ethics, fraud, abuse, human trafficking and whistleblowing laws, and relevant HIAS policies.
• Identifies, on a continuous basis, potential areas of compliance vulnerability, developing and implementing an action plan applying best practices.
• Creates and maintains systems for tracking complaints and incidents.
• Collaborates closely with other colleagues, including the Director, Risk Management and the Senior Director, Internal Audit & Control.
• Investigates alleged violations of policies, procedures, ethics and the Code of Conduct.
• Ensures proper reporting of violations or potential violations to the General Counsel and, as applicable, to the Executive Risk Management Committee, donors, the HIAS Board and authorized enforcement agencies as appropriate and/or required.
• Develops training modules on compliance and regularly conducts training on relevant policies and procedures.
• Provides direction and information to the staff, Board, partners and vendors in regard to compliance regulations, laws, guidelines, policies and procedures.
• Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of existing ethics and compliance policies, systems and personnel to ensure continuous improvement.
• Continuously develops or updates policies and procedures to align with best practices in sector.
• Develops dashboard to effectively communicate to executive leadership, the Board and donors about status of legal and ethics compliance.
• Tracks governance obligations of country offices and advises General Counsel to foster timely compliance.
• Interprets and advises on laws and regulations that impact HIAS.
• Assists in the development of new policies and programs, staffing and training process, research and preparation of presentations and reports.
• Interacts with affiliates, vendors and clients.
• Performs other duties, as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
• Graduate degree (e.g., JD or Masters) or relevant compliance certification.
• 6-8 years of experience working in legal compliance or a related field.
• English fluency required; Spanish and/or French fluency preferred.
• Expertise in ethics and legal compliance.
• Experience within a legal, audit and/or risk function department.
• Experience working in the international context.
• Strong project management skills.
• Ability to work well under pressure and manage sensitive and confidential information.
• Ability to travel up to 20% of time.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with strong attention to detail.
• Great interpersonal skills and ability to work well both independently and as part of a team.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, as well as writing and presentation software.
Already a member? Sign In