Director – Media Processing
Englewood, CO, USA | Leading Media / Entertainment Company
Industry:Media / Entertainment
Functions:IT / Information Technology
Job Description:52 people have viewed this job
Charter Communications is America’s fastest growing TV, internet and voice company. We’re committed to integrating the highest quality service with superior entertainment and communications products. Charter is at the intersection of technology and entertainment, facilitating essential communications that connect 24 million residential and business customers in 41 states. Our commitment to serving customers and exceeding their expectations is the bedrock of Charter’s business strategy and it’s the philosophy that guides our 90,000 employees.
The Advanced Engineering department resides in the Charter Technical Engineering Center (CTEC) facilities in Englewood, CO and oversees the design and architecture of Charter’s multi-billion dollar network infrastructure. We investigate, select, develop, and integrate technologies and solutions that meet the needs of the company for short, medium and long term initiatives. This includes the delivery of the technology plan and future architecture for Voice, Video, Data, Optical, Commercial, Cloud, CPE, Network and Access.
Responsible for directing and managing the engineering staff and facilities. Implement and enhance consistent engineering practices to ensure stable product delivery aligned with company initiatives and expectations. Support operations including technical services, plant maintenance, telephone operations, service delivery, and network operations. Direct project planning, capital budgeting and assist with business plan development. Ensure a high degree of cross functional communication and participation in line with product deployment and support.Manage a team of engineers/architects responsible delivering advanced audio/video encoding and ABR packaging solutions. The candidate will oversee solutions for Charter Communications service delivery applications.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Directs a team of senior engineers responsible for architecting, integrating, testing and qualifying new products for linear encoding and packaging systems, Content Delivery Networks (CDNs), Encryption/DRM systems, and multiscreen video solutions.
- Duties include working with a team of advanced engineers whom support the development, integration, test, and troubleshooting of various technologies which support Charter’s digital headend systems, IP networks, mobile/web video delivery, Cloud infrastructure and encryption/DRM solutions for production deployment and engineering labs.
- Participate in creating architecture, specifications, and test plans for production product deployment.
- Provide subject matter expertise in the following areas; Next Generation Dynamic IP Video Packaging, Linear Video Workflow, DRM, HD/UHD/4K Video, Advanced Audio and Video Encoding.
- Provide analysis, solution architectures, specifications and test plans in support of various Advanced Engineering and Development projects to include, but not limited to: availability, elasticity, scale, performance, security and control for private, public and/or hybrid system architectures.
- Evaluation and testing of new technologies and provide implementation and design documentation. Use network design software like Visio and document procedures using tools such as Jira and Confluence.
- Strong inquisitive nature and ability to work well with vendors and internal stakeholders to drive to solutions.
- Work cross-functionally with Product, Engineering, Project Management, and Operations teams.
- The candidate should have some software development process experience, but coding is not required.
- Responsible for keeping abreast of standards and regulatory requirements which impact IP video delivery solutions.
- Should have working knowledge with modern service delivery networks. – IP Networking, virtualization solutions, COTS computing hardware (HP, Cisco UCS), MPEG, and protocols such as DASH and HLS
- Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
- Develops an effective front line Leadership team and assist them with developing their direct reports as to drive a high performance culture and environment.
- Leads an innovative, collaborative work team to produce exceptional results delivering the customer experience.
- Oversees designated operations which may include, but not limited to Headend, network engineering, advanced video engineering, construction projects, and related equipment requirements.
- Provides engineering support and direction for new or existing technologies and current operational initiatives.
- Evaluates and consults with all levels of leadership regarding technical operations, strategic planning of rebuilds, network operations, dispatch, and new product development and deployment.
- Directs quality control programs for engineering operations and consistent operational procedures.
- Reviews selections on bids for contracted projects, and provide recommendations as necessary.
- Directs capital budget process, executes approved budget plan.
- Ensures current procedures and tests are performed in accordance with Federal Communication Commission Standards.
- Oversees the maintenance of records as required by the Federal Communications Commission and other government agencies.
- Ensures adherence to company TQA policies.
- Leads and participates in succession planning.
- Performs other duties as requested.
Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward, and professional manner
Advanced Knowledge of HFC, Advanced Video, IP Networks, and Telephony
Ability to handle multiple projects and tasks, make decisions and solve problems while working under pressure, supervise and motivate others
Ability to use personal computer and software applications
Advanced knowledge of all FCC compliance reports and other rules and regulations
Comprehensive understanding of applicable local and state rules and regulations, OSHA rules and regulations, both federal and state
Comprehensive understanding of HVAC and power distribution systems
In depth knowledge of Analog Transmission Line Theory, Electronic theory, FCC regulations, Fiber Optic theory, National Electric Code and National Electric Safety Code
Master's degree in engineering or related field, or equivalent experience
Related Work Experience/# Of Years
Engineering experience and/or network operations-10
Project management experience-2
Advanced Knowledge of company products and services
Industry and vendor specific certifications and training: Cisco, Juniper, Alcatel-Lucent, NCTI, SCTE, BCT/E, etc.