Director Of Accounting
Falls Church, VA, USA | Inova Health System
Industry:Healthcare - Hospitals
Functions:Accounting / Control
Job Description:53 people have viewed this job
The primary responsibility of this position is comprehensive leadership over the accounting and financial reporting functions within Physician Services.This includes two main legal entities and hundreds of cost centers and clinic-level income statements. The role is challenging, dynamic, and more important than ever as we transition to cloud-based Oracle ERP. The Director of Accounting will also have lead responsibility for properly accounting for acquisitions and partnerships, with which we are always active.The role also involves a high degree of interaction with our corporate accounting and finance teams, including heavy involvement and coordination during the month-end close activities.There will be close partnership with operations and service line leadership, including executive-level report outs. Leads and coordinates key strategic development and functional services to support department objectives and organizational goals. Manages professional and clerical staff, including day-to-day supervision, employee relations, and staff development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversees the day-to-day operation of all accounting related activities.
• Organizes, monitors, and coordinates all QA and QI activities.
• Ensures that department/functional operations are in full compliance with accrediting and regulatory agency standards.
• Oversees corporate property and casualty insurance program, including placing and maintaining optimal levels of commercial coverage as well as self-insured arrangements.
• Analyzes corporate risk areas and recommends insurance or risk management solutions.
• Coordinates procurement of excess insurance for self-insured programs.
• Monitors risk and insurance industry developments and market conditions.
• Oversees management of Inova's captive insurance subsidiary, including the direction of third-party service providers.
• Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements and management protocols.
• Serves as Treasurer for captive's governing board.
• Serves as the finance team member on the Inova Claims Review Panel.
• Oversees self-insured employee benefits programs, including the Pension plan.
• Coordinates regular actuarial review and analysis.
• Ensures adequate funding.
• Oversees reporting and related accounting for insurance, self-insurance, and benefits accounts, including the appropriate valuation of liabilities.
• Maintains records of self-insured loss histories and exposure information.
• Ensures policies and controls around all transactions are adequate.
• Monitors and implements emerging accounting procedures as required.
• Oversees the day-to-day cash management, and short-term and long-term investments.
• Forecasts near term cash need and invests excess cash optimally.
• Monitors investment allocations, policy compliance, and performance of $1.8 billion investment portfolio.
•Leads public financing activities.
• Coordinates activities required for establishing a debt portfolio strategy, bond issuance, and refinancing.
• Ensures compliance with laws related to tax-exempt bonds, bond covenants, and record keeping.
• Ensures bond proceeds are expended as intended, and debt service payments are made when due.
• Oversees reporting and related accounting for cash, debt, and investment activities.
• Responds promptly to requests from other departments within the operating unit, and maintains a cooperative relationship with the corresponding department(s) at other operating units.
• Ensures adherence to Service Excellence standards and provision of the outstanding customer service to both internal and external customers.
• Oversees service agreements and fees, and develops and reviews work plans and work products from service providers related to Treasury and Risk Management functions including investment bankers, bond counsel, and other legal counsel, actuaries, brokers, consultants, banks, investment advisors, auditors, rating agencies, trustees, and third party administrators of benefits programs.
• Responds promptly to requests and maintains cooperative relationships with other departments across the System.
• Coordinates and monitors the development of long-range plans and annual budgets for the department.
• Monitors financial performance to ensure it meets budgeted revenue/expense ratios.
• Selects, hires, and trains staff to perform assigned functions at a competent level.
• Develops work plans and schedules to ensure appropriate staffing levels.
• Establishes performance expectations and provides direction, feedback, and guidance to employees.
• Completes performance evaluations, employee relations, and needed disciplinary activities.
Bachelors Degree- Accounting
Minimum of 10 years experience
Certified Public Accountant
Already a member? Sign In