Director of Development
Washington, DC, USA | Non Profit Organization
Industry:Non-Profit / Social Enterprise
Job Description:78 people have viewed this job
The Director of Development leads all fundraising activities for the Investigative Reporting Workshop (IRW), an award-winning independent newsroom at the American University (AU) School of Communication (SOC). By raising external funds, the position drives the Workshop’s mission to hold institutions of power accountable while training the next generation of investigative reporters.
The Director of Development has primary responsibility for developing and implementing fundraising campaigns to realize IRW’s annual budget of approximately $2 million annually by securing individual donations (small to major gifts) and grants from foundations. To ensure its journalistic independence, IRW does not accept corporate or government funding.
Key responsibilities of the position include:
· Developing, implementing, monitoring and reporting on annual fundraising plans.
· Prospecting, cultivating, soliciting and retaining individual and foundation funders.
· Grant submission, compliance, and reporting.
· Raising IRW’s profile in the arena of foundation and individual philanthropy.
· Staying informed on and adhering to philanthropic best practices.
· Strategic planning in collaboration with Workshop editors and staff.
· Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
· A minimum of 5-7 years demonstrated progressive and successful development experience in nonprofit organization(s).
· Prior responsibility for institutional and project budgets and goals.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Proven ability to work independently to meet goals and deadlines.
· Demonstrated creativity and resourcefulness in the development and implementation of fundraising strategies.
Already a member? Sign In