Director Of Diversity And Inclusion
Syracuse, NY, USA | Syracuse University
Job Description:116 people have viewed this job
Reporting to the Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer, The Director of Diversity and Inclusion will provide expertise and vision to embrace and support diversity in all forms. The Director will use evidence based strategies to assist the University in developing efforts to create and sustain a culture that embraces and promotes diversity, inclusion and accessibility in their broadest meanings. This position will serve as liaison and develops partnerships within the community to promote diversity as an essential element of the mission of the University. They will provide oversight for the operational functions of the office, oversight of the office staff and support the growth and impact of its events and programming, as well as the development, implementation, and monitoring of the projects, initiatives, strategic priorities, and special projects.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
• Seven (7) plus years of professional experience leading workplace diversity, equity, and inclusion programs and operations.
• Three (3) years of experience supervising professional staff.
• Master’s degree and five (5) plus years of experience in the field of diversity and inclusion is preferred.
Job Specific Qualifications
• Excellent analytical and reporting skills; excellent oral and written communication skills; and strong presentation skills; with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of internal and external stakeholders.
• Proven track record of strategic diversity leadership and advancing equity in a large institution.
• Strong leadership and interpersonal skills to build relationships with populations from diverse backgrounds, organization and time management skills; and the ability to work independently.
• Excellent time management, organizational skills, and strong attention to detail.
• Flexibility, adaptability, and problem-solving skills.
• The ability to prioritize, deal with multiple demands, and successfully meet deadlines.
• The ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise independent judgment
• Oversees all operational or business functions for the unit while maintaining big-picture view of department level milestones. Employ sound judgment and good decision-making to manage day-to-day departmental operations, processes, and procedures.
• Manage the day to day entries for the operational budget; moderate budgeting requirement to ensure unit does not overspend on operational budget. Maintain the security of sensitive and confidential budget records.
• Develops plans for space and equipment usage, and ensures that plans are made and deadlines are met for daily department activities.
• Supervises staff and establishing work priorities/workflow and resolve management or personnel issues. Hire, train, and place staff for needed roles in the department. Approve timesheets, delegate duties, oversee work products, evaluate staff, provide direction to staff, and inform Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer of staff needs, problems, and changes.
• Ensure any delegated authorities or duties are properly documented and approved, and maintain appropriate internal controls.
• Continually review and recommend improvements to the Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer and monitor their implementation by providing guidance and oversight to staff.
• Serve as the go-to resource for faculty, staff and students by keeping current on University diversity, inclusion and accessibility initiatives and maintain strong professional relationships across campus.
• Assess potential barriers and develop strategies focused on initiatives related to cultural competency.
• Promote and drive dialogue around and adoption of inclusive practices, establish key initiatives, and drive efforts to build a more connected, diverse and thriving community.
• Serve as a thought partner to the Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer to influence investments needed to achieve excellence in diversity, equity, inclusion and the overall student and employee experience.
• May be tapped to serve as a member of the Council on Diversity and Inclusion and/or Inclusive Leadership Assembly.
• This position, with leadership from the Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer, will work closely with other University leaders to evaluate and advance diversity, inclusion, and accessibility initiatives and programs designed to ensure fair and equitable treatment and success of students, faculty, and staff.
• Possess high levels of professional acumen, judgment, and leadership and serve in a variety of capacities in the absence of the Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer.
• Works to foster a welcoming and nurturing environment for all students with a focus on students from historically underrepresented and marginalized communities through programs/events.
Already a member? Sign In