Director of Nursing Education and Research
Houston, TX, USA | CHI St. Luke’s Health
Industry:Healthcare - Hospitals
Job Description:94 people have viewed this job
A quaternary care facility that is home of the Texas Heart® Institute, a world-class cardiovascular research and education institution founded in 1962 by Denton A. Cooley, MD–consistently ranked as one of the nation’s best in Cardiovascular Services & Heart Surgery.
The first hospital in Texas and the Southwest designated a Magnet® hospital for Nursing Excellence by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, receiving the award four consecutive times. Baylor St. Luke’s is home to three freestanding community emergency centers (Holcombe, Pearland, and San Felipe) offering adult and pediatric care–treating more than 51,000 patients annually. The hospital holds a collaborative partnership with Baylor College of Medicine and affiliations with The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, The University of Texas Medical Branch (Galveston), Houston Baptist University, and Prairie View A&M University.
Responsible for management and leadership of the Center for Professional Practice, Development, and Research which Has the following departments:Nursing and Patient Education, and Nursing Research.In addition, Provides oversight of evidence based practice, the professional development model, and nursing peer review.Accountable for the planning, coordination, implementation, and evaluation of activities for Nursing designed to meet goals established to enhance professional development, to increase the clinical, leadership, and managerial competency of the staff, to enhance patient outcomes through education, research and evidence based practice, to facilitate the hard-wiring of quality initiatives, and to meet or exceed internal and external benchmarks.
Minimum Knowledge and Skills Required:
PhD or DNP
Registered Nurse (RN) (BSN)
Minimum of 7 years’ experience in the discipline and 5 years leadership experience
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
Knowledgeable of instructional design and principles of adult learning
1. Contributes to quality cost effective patient care through programs designed to meet learning needs to achieve desired patient outcomes, to increase clinical, leadership, and managerial competency, to promote error reduction, and to enhance professional development
2. Guides and mentors others in the interpretation of research and evidence based practice publications
3. Conducts, supports, and/or participates in research projects to promote a knowledge base for nursing and advanced nursing practice
4. Promotes shared leadership through the active participation in activities to achieve the Nursing strategic goals, effective communication, and the resolution of problems
5. Provides insight into role expectations of the graduate nurse to the schools of nursing faculty
6. Develops, integrates, and implements goals of the hospital and nursing into services provided by the department
7. Serves as a member of the nursing, hospital, and system committees as appointed
8. Represents CHI on a local, state, nation, and international level
9. Manages departmental budgets to assure resources are available to achieve stated goals
10. Recruits, selects, and manages department personnel
11. Monitors work assignments and projects of department staff to maximize productivity and equitable distribution of assignments
12. Provides quality customer service through educational offerings, collaboration, and consultation
13. Serves as a liaison to the local schools of nursing and facilitates placement of students to achieve curriculum requirements
14. Collaborates with the Deans of the nursing schools to develop creative approaches to integrate academic and organizational nursing education
15. Develops innovative methods to provide and enhance educational programs/offerings leveraging technology to increase access
16. Provide oversight to the continuing education accreditation program
17. Participates on Nursing Fellowship Committee assuring selection of qualified candidates and the timely payment of recipients
Already a member? Sign In