Director of Product Design
London, United Kingdom | Monzo
Industry:Banking / Investment Banking
Design / Graphic Design
Job Description:73 people have viewed this job
We’re looking for an empathetic leader to help us build and grow the best design team in the world.
We’re working for and with our users to build a bank that’s fair, transparent and a delight to use. You’ll be working with a team designing a product that’s part of day to day life for more than five million people already, and your work here will help us scale much further, ensuring a high bar of quality for design and a focus on solving user problems as we grow.
We care deeply about inclusive working practices and diverse teams. We’re keen to ensure we’re designing a bank that works for everyone, so we particularly encourage applications from different underrepresented demographics.
How you’ll contribute
• Manage designers who work embedded in independent product squads, working on the core surfaces that make up a user’s experience with Monzo.
• Collaborate with your peers in leadership within Product, Engineering and Data Science to define a strategic vision for what we build, helping focus on solving user problems.
• Help set clear development goals for your team, and regularly check in on progress.
• Help designers define their career paths, identify opportunities and level up to do the best work of their lives.
• Hire and develop more managers and designers as we grow.
• Represent us publicly in the ways that feel natural to you: writing, speaking, or running events in order to share what we do.
You should apply if
• You’ve managed designers before!
• You’re passionate about developing designers’ skills and careers.
• You really understand how software is built and how design can make an impact in a multi-disciplinary environment.
• You inspire and motivate people to do their best work fully aligned with business goals.
• You know how to grow and hire new leaders.
• You’re product-minded and intensely customer-focused.
• You care about design all the way from a strategic level down to design details and getting the pixels right. You’re familiar with native mobile patterns and have opinions about when to use them, when to break them.
• You’re a skilled communicator and know how to work with independent teams.
• You know how to balance quick wins and bigger, more impactful pieces of work.
• You love change and know how to manage it.
This isn't for you if
• You prefer working on small products with few complexities and narrow use cases. The opportunities in this role are massive and you’ll need to make sense of them and prioritise often.
• You like lots of top-down direction. You'll collaborate with leadership in your area and your product squads, but it’ll largely be up to you to decide which challenges to tackle, and how to tackle them.
• This is your first management job. We’re a small team and a fast-paced company, so we need someone to hit the ground running.
• Initial call with a Monzo design leader (30 minutes)
• Task — you can choose to take this home or do as part of your "on-site" (30 minutes)
• Virtual "on-site" (3 hours)
Depending on experience £80k - £140k/year cash plus meaningful stock options
We want to give people applying for roles at Monzo the best opportunity to succeed and we design our process to do that. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
We’re currently hiring for this role across multiple levels. Don’t worry if you’re not sure which level of seniority best fits your experience. We want to find brilliant people. We’ll work with you to find the right Monzo level for you if you’re invited to interview.
While the pandemic is still here, everyone at Monzo is welcome to work remotely. When things return to normal, we'd like you to be able to be part of working in a team environment in our London office at least 1 day a week
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
Already a member? Sign In