Director of Product Management, Optical Systems - Remote
Anywhere, NY, USA | Idex
Industry:Pharmaceutical / Biotech
Job Description:83 people have viewed this job
If you’re looking for a special place to build or grow your career, you’ve found it. Whether you’re an experienced professional, a recent college graduate or somewhere in between, IDEX is a place where you can apply your existing skills and learn new ones in an environment where you can make an impact.
With interesting opportunities in engineering, marketing, sales, supply chain, operations, HR, finance, and more across more than 40 diverse businesses (https://www.idexcorp.com/our-businesses/business-segments/) around the globe, chances are, we have something special for you.
JOB TITLE: Director of Product Management, Optical Systems
REPORTING TO: VP, Business Line Leader
LOCATION: West Henrietta, NY
These positions may require lawful access to ITAR/EAR controlled information and employees in this role will need to meet those requirements. Requirements include US Citizenship or US Permanent Resident.
Who is IDEX Health & Science (IH&S)?
As a business unit of IDEX Corporation, IH&S has a long history of driving growth in life sciences and healthcare by embracing innovation and redefining the supplier-customer relationship. The work we do every day allows us to discover key insights and break new ground to create some of the most meaningful technologies that have a lasting impact on companies, industries, and society. One of business segments is called Life Science Optics and we are looking to add more talent to the team.
Life Science Optics (LSO):
Our Optics Center of Excellence (COE) in West Henrietta, NY , is a manufacturing and R&D focused team that sits at the leading edge of high-end optics for life sciences. Focused on assisting partners at every stage of the development processes, we invest in people and infrastructure to drive bold ideas and pragmatic solutions. With its optics-rich foundation of talent, universities, and supporting businesses, Rochester is the ideal location to elevate your career with fascinating work and endless opportunities.
Our formula for success is simple. We work hard to maintain a culture where you can own your work; you are encouraged to try new ideas in a collaborative environment; and you can apply your skillset to enable our clients to gain a competitive advantage in their own market. At IDEX Health & Science, you have the opportunity to work with a great group of people, mentor others, and build a great future.
SCOPE OF ROLE
The Director of Product Management is a global position leading a cross functional team responsible for the growth of the Optical Systems product line. Responsibilities include team leadership, product portfolio strategy and day-to-day execution for our business. This cross functional role will include strategy development, product roadmap design, product development, pricing excellence, and marketing through commercialization. This position is an integral part of the business unit’s leadership team and requires leadership coaching and development of direct reports.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Build, lead, and develop a multi-disciplined product management team including: talent acquisition, training, and enablement for success. Responsible for the success of a high performing business team through effective coaching and development.
- Provide product management leadership, from concept to commercialization to obsolescence. Develop long-range product strategies and guide fiscal planning for future positioning, growth, and evolution of the product platform. This includes identifying, establishing and managing strategic relationships with customers, suppliers and industry opinion leaders. This role is ultimately responsible for revenue, margin, customer satisfaction, and market share objectives.
- Serve as the leader of a cross-functional team, leading voice of customer research, multi-generational product definition, product and service features, performance requirements and tradeoffs, product value proposition and business case. Output of this work will inspire and align product management, applications, RD&E, operations, and sales.
- Analyze and incorporate impact of key markets, technical trends, customer needs and competitive offerings for products. Develop differentiated product roadmaps, rank new product features and functionalities, and recommend investments to drive product growth.
- Serve as Systems champion with internal stakeholders, regional teams, and key account team members. Will maintain close interaction with field teams through training and active participation in the sales process, including customer visits, pricing tactics, and customer support.
- Leverage Business Development to create optimal licensing, partnership, and/or acquisition strategies that expand product portfolio.
- Ensure pricing framework enables field sales success by determining optimal catalog prices, providing appropriate level of pricing/discounting, responding to competitive opportunities, and meeting profitability objectives.
- Define product level messaging and positioning across all channels.
- Champion an “8020 for growth” culture to drive alignment across functions and disciplines in support of the customer. Manage the business based on customer needs utilizing pertinent metrics to measure business performance.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATION:
- A Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical or optical engineering, molecular biology, chemistry, or related discipline.
- A minimum of 7+years of experience in strategic marketing and product management in life sciences.
- A minimum of 5+ years of people management and business leadership.
- Demonstrated capability reading technology and market trends, and strategically planning future product opportunities.
- Prior experience with success leading in a matrixed global organizational structure.
- Proven track record of attracting, developing, engaging, and retaining high potential and diverse talent.
- Strong change management skills and experiences.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial skills and experience translating plans into commercially successful and profitable product offerings.
- Strong financial acumen; able to understand impact of negotiation points on a business engagement.
- Up to 50% travel, domestic and international, required
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATION:
- Demonstrated expertise and knowledge in the Life Science microscopy market that can be applied to create a compelling product roadmap that inspires the organization to execute.
- Experience in developing or commercializing products that serve the life sciences and in vitro diagnostics end market is a plus. Product categories include: sequencing, chromatography, bioprocessing, hematology, clinical chemistry, immunoassays, mass spec, PCR, FISH, IHC, and other emerging categories in cellomics, proteomics, and genomics.
- Team management of new business initiatives with experience leading, developing and growing successful businesses with highly technical products in the life science research and clinical diagnostics markets preferred.
- A Master’s or PhD preferred. MBA strongly preferred.
- Outstanding leadership skills that bring out the best in your team and others through direct interaction and influence. Seen as a “go to” leader of the organization.
- Strong customer/quality orientation with demonstrated ability to effectively build and manage customer and partner relationships at the most senior level.
- Metrics and data driven with exceptional skill managing a team to overachieve objectives based on sound commercial processes and through the deployment of continuous improvement methodologies.
- Executive presence; capacity to promote enthusiasm and gain support through strong verbal, written and presentation communications skills.
- Strong personal drive and motivation to reach new objectives and drive change.
- Relationship architect; able to build a strong network of influential supporters.
- Excellence in collaboration as a leader and a coach. The ability to draw out the best in your team and allow them to grow and succeed as the business achieves its goals.
- Ability to thrive amidst change & ambiguity, and help others with the same.
IDEX Health & Science LLC., a Unit of IDEX Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity
Are you ready to join a different kind of company where our people, our culture, and our commitments are centered around providing trusted solutions that improve lives around the world?
Already a member? Sign In