Director of Scientific Computing
Madison, WI, USA | University of Wisconsin-Madison
Job Description:50 people have viewed this job
Under the general direction of the Chief of Biomedical Informatics (CBMI), the Director of Scientific Computing will work collaboratively with researchers, clinicians, informaticians, IT teams and external partners to lead the development of a state-of-the-art computing environment at the School of Medicine and Public Health (SMPH) at University of Wisconsin, Madison. The Director will leverage industry best practices and standards related to scientific biomedical computing for research programs. The incumbent will consider HPC services at peer institutions, and those provided by cloud companies with the intent of enabling a hybrid computing environment that allows for agility, flexibility and security for biomedical research.
The School of Medicine and Public Health has a deep and profound commitment to diversity both as an end but also as a valuable means for eliminating health disparities. As such, we strongly encourage applications from candidates who foster and promote the values of diversity and inclusion.
List of Duties
INSTITUTIONAL STATEMENT ON DIVERSITY
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background - people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit Diversity and Inclusion
DEGREE AND AREA OF SPECIALIZATION
PhD in Computer Science, Informatics, Computational Biology, or related fields required.
MINIMUM YEARS AND TYPE OF RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
- Proven experience in biomedical computing for big data analytics in local high-performance compute facilities, as well as cloud platforms (AWS, Azure and GCP).
- Demonstrated experience with storage and compute solutions for biomedical data, particularly omics data.
- Proven experience with data analytical tools in HPC and Cloud.
- Proven knowledge of security and privacy requirements for biomedical research data.
- Demonstrated experience with scheduling and automation technologies.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking abilities and an enterprise-wide perspective, ability to be an effective negotiator and consensus builder in an academic setting and collaborative leadership style with excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills with technical and non-technical users.
- Ability to lead, manage, and deal with constant changes that are common in a dynamic research community.
- 3 years of management experience in an academic or pharmaceutical industry setting with exposure to cutting-edge, high performance, and cloud technology platforms for enabling biomedical research.
Already a member? Sign In