Director of Simulation Maintenance and Operations
Moffett Field, CA, USA | Symvionics Inc
Job Description:122 people have viewed this job
The successful candidate will lead a team of experienced engineers and technicians responsible for the operational maintenance of diverse simulation hardware, electronics, and computing capability that supports facility maintenance and operations for flight and airspace simulators at the NASA Ames Research Center’s Vertical Motion Simulator (VMS), Crew Vehicle Systems Research facility (CVSRF), and Future Flight Central (FFC), collectively known as SimLabs.The Maintenance and Operations (M&O) Manager will work in concert with the M&O team, simulation and software engineers, and NASA engineers and researchers to ensure SimLabs facilities meet specified requirements to achieve test and research objectives.Ultimately, this includes ensuring researchers have the ability to create, configure, integrate, test, and collect data for real-time, human-in-the-loop aircraft, spacecraft, and air traffic management simulations in order to meet their research goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The M&O Manager is responsible for overseeing and coordinating work on several multi-year high priority, high visibility modernization projects for the VMS.These modernization projects include upgrades to the mechanical motion systems, controls systems, and visualization systems, which will significantly improve upon how the VMS has been configured, operated, and maintained over the past 40 years. The M&O Manger will work closely with systems engineers and technicians to develop, manage, and execute a master schedule, which will combine the multiple phased integration efforts into a single plan that synchronizes development tasks, optimizes verification and validation efforts, and minimizes simulation down-time.
Provides leadership to a high performance technical-engineering team with the legacy knowledge of the systems engineering activities associate with the design, development, implementation, and operation of the hardware/software-intensive simulation assets and capabilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience and Education
Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Avionics, or similar discipline.Equivalent training and/or experience relevant to the degree and experience requirements may be considered.
Experience and Knowledge of the Following:
• Demonstrated direct experience in the management of complex, multi-year, multi-faceted engineering projects with successful results
• Demonstrated experience managing a team of technicians and engineers
• 10+ years of experience in systems engineering, IT systems technology, avionics, simulation, computer engineering, mechanical/electrical engineering and/or other related fields, with successful managerial experience withlong-term complex projects
• Understanding of networking and distributed computing environments
• Operational experience with mechanical systems
• Understand marketing concepts and have the ability to communicate capabilities to fill a need
• Ability to organize, plan, and coordinate effectively in large-scale projects
• Maintenance of accurate electronic records
• Operation of typical office computer equipment and software and associated applications
• Independently establish relevant actions and priorities to meet program goals
• Excellent problem solving, communications, and organizational skills
• Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
• Develop and monitor actions using work breakdown structure (WBS) tools such as Microsoft Project
• Strong communications skills, to include fluent English and ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, with customers and colleagues
• Establish and maintain productive working relationships with those contacted in the course of work in a challenging environment.
Certificate, Licenses, Registrations
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions in English
• Communicate clearly and precisely, both orally and in writing, in English
• Ability to speak effectively with customers (to include government officials, corporate officials, and employees)
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work
• Evaluate design approach in relation to system upgrades and modernization
• Specify system, process, service, and product quality requirements
• Institute corrective and preventive action to address non-compliance
• Identify and record non-conformance through organizational channels
• Recommend changes to eliminate non-conformance symptoms and root causes
• Verify the effectiveness of corrective and preventative actions
Already a member? Sign In