Director of Volunteers
West Chester, PA, USA | Penn-Medicine
Industry:Healthcare - Hospitals
Functions:Operations / Production
Job Description:144 people have viewed this job
This position is responsible for the recruitment, training, retention, recognition and management of adult and teenage volunteers. The director’s role is to meet the current volunteer requirements of the Hospital and its satellite venues and planning for future needs while creating a positive and fulfilling environment for the volunteer team. Additional duties include development and implementation of policies, compliance, competency assessment, budget development and control and personnel administration.
1. This role administers and coordinates the functions and staff in the Volunteer Services office and the Volunteer Program which consists of 1 FTE and 2 part time weekend employees.
2. TheDirector of Volunteer Services (DVS) is directly responsible for the function and volunteer staff of the Family Lounge, Information Desk, Patient Escort/Transportation, VolunTeen Program and the Summer Teen Program areas. The position is indirectly responsible for the volunteer staff for all other hospital departments, satellite areas where volunteers are located and for court-ordered community service volunteers.The volunteer staff consists of approximately 400 volunteers.
3. The director is responsible for the preparation and management of the operating and capital budgets.
4. This role serves a support function for the Physical Therapy andRadiology Departments for the documentation and orientation of university interns.
5. The DVS analyzes department performance in relation to established goals; implements change for continual improvement and ensures compliance with internal and external standards as well as regulatory and legal requirements. Ensures the department is in constant compliance with Joint Commission and State and Federal regulations. Monitors Press Ganey and HCAPS survey results, communicates the results and develops corrective action plans if needed.
6. This position is a liaison to the community and advocates and recruits for the Hospital and the Volunteer Programs. The DVS engages with the community and speaks to targeted community groups and coordinates non-financial donations from the community to the Hospital.
7. This role includes the support of the Women’s Auxiliaries activities, special events, the Women’s Auxiliary Gift Shops and the Encore Consignment Shop. Support includes but is not limited to clerical, volunteer recruitment, communication and meeting and special event participation.
8. The DVS is the liaison with clergy and lay people from community congregations and the Hospital.
9. The DVS must have excellent communication skills to build relationships and engage with the community.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE; CERTIFICATION/LICENSURE, SPECIAL EQUIPMENT, SKILLS OR OTHER REQUIREMENTS
• Bachelors Degree is required. A Master’s degree is preferred.
• 5 years experience in healthcare management or non profit volunteer management
• CAVS (Certified Administrator of Volunteer Services) preferred
• Membership and participation in local volunteer management professional groups such as PSDVS (Pennsylvania Society of Director of Volunteer Services) and DVAVA (Delaware Valley Association of Volunteer Administrators) is preferred and required upon hire
Already a member? Sign In