Director - Public Relations & Communications
Fairfax, VA, USA | Leading Advertising/PR/Marketing/Events Company
Job Description:64 people have viewed this job
Serves as a primary contact for many external communications activities as it relates to industry specific media channels. Responsible for maintenance and development with pertinent media relationship contacts, including the development and ownership of media barter relationships. Serves as the associations primary voice by providing copy writing for all SGIA programmatic emails as aligned with association branding and serves as the primary author of all association all press releases. Identifies and evaluates the association’s presence within the media and monitors the output of all media barter agreements, and provides reporting as necessary. Serves as an outward facing representative of SGIA within the Industry.
1. Copy Writing for External Communications (30%)
• Serves as the primary author of all external communications (eblasts) for SGIA conferences, events, workshops and webinars.
• Develops and maintains an association-wide “voice” in keeping with the SGIA brand.
• Works with the Marketing Manager and Marketing & Communications VP to monitor the success of external communications and adjusts the communications or “voice” accordingly.
• Collaborates with project managers to develop talking points for all external communications.
2. Press Releases (25%)
• Works with the Project Managers and Executive staff to develop talking points and quotes with which to write press releases.
• Drafts press releases and works with the editorial staff to edit and revise copy as needed.
• Develops the Media Contacts list and makes changes as needed. Distributes press releases to media contacts and monitors the pickup.
• Monitors and researches the interest level within the industry based on the media contacts.
3. Media Relationships (45%)
• Identify, connect with and develop relationships with pertinent media contacts within the industry.
• Negotiate, manage, and track ROI on all media barter agreements.
• Facilitate association efforts and projects having a “top-billing” visibility within partner publications and media channels.
QUALIFICATIONS: Experience with, or show aptitude and willingness to learn, various media and audio-visual equipment in the presentation of content. Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication and negotiation skills. Excellent relationship-building skills. Copy writing and editing experience is a must. Ability to interact effectively and appropriately with individuals of various levels, professions, and cultures. Strong attention to detail and accuracy and interpersonal skills required. Ability to solve difficult problems with effective solutions. Ability to work both independently and as a team member.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Requires Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations/Communications or related field with three to five years of relevant experience. Experience in the industry or industry-related association preferred. Knowledge of the Print Industry a plus. Previous supervisory experience required. Must be proficient using Microsoft Windows, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Fluency in written and spoken English language. Spanish fluency is a plus.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Basic math skills required.
REASONING ABILITY: Must show good judgment and logic.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: 25%, with overnight stays.