Hartford, CT, USA | Travelers
Industry:Insurance - General
IT / Information Technology
Job Description:55 people have viewed this job
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
$116,500.00 – $192,200.00
What Is the Opportunity?
Travelers is seeking a Director of Software Engineering to join our organization as we grow and transform our Technology landscape. Individual will complete advanced software end to end engineering tasks that span many parts of a system including designing, developing, analyzing, configuring, testing, debugging, troubleshooting, documenting, health monitoring/alerting, and implementing based on user or system specifications. Individual will also consult with users to determine hardware, software or system functional specifications, manage the effective use of resources, act as subject matter expert across multiple applications, systems and technologies, leverage technical and business knowledge to drive the planning and execution of complex initiatives, participate in the design/ development process, and provide technical leadership, while leading a team of SWE.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, or its equivalent in work experience.
- Three years of programming/development experience.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 5 years of related experience; including insurance / financial services industry experience.
- Demonstrated experience implementing current technology trends and techniques (e.g., cloud-based solutions leveraging microservices).
- Interprets internal/ external business challenges and recommends best practices to improve SDLC processes.
- Experience in native mobile application development using React Native is preferred.
- Experience working with AWS.
- Experience working with Agile teams.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Delivery – Advanced delivery skills including the ability to determine the software design strategy and methodology to be used for efforts, use automated tests, analysis, and informed feedback loops to ensure the quality and production readiness of work before release, monitor the health of work efforts and that of adjacent systems.
- Domain Expertise – Demonstrated track record of domain expertise including the ability to develop business partnerships and influence priorities by identifying solutions that are aligned with current business objective and closely follow industry trends relevant to domain, understanding how to apply them, and sharing knowledge with coworkers.
- Problem Solving – Strong problem solver who utilizes data and proofs of concepts to find creative solutions to difficult problems, reflects on solutions, measuring their impact, and uses that information to ideate and optimize. Also adept at making decisions that involve a significant number of factors with broad implications.
- Communication – Strong communicator who possesses the ability to describe technology concepts in ways the business can understand, document initiatives in a concise and clear manner, collaborate effectively with teammates and others regardless of role, quickly extract core issues from discussions and meetings, give and receive constructive feedback, offer help when asked, and ensure everyone has a chance to share their thoughts and are heard; an attentive and empathetic listener.
- Leadership – Advanced leadership skills with the ability to take action even when there is no clear owner, inspire and motivate others, and be effective at influencing team members.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
Already a member? Sign In