Director, Software Engineering
Carmel, IN, USA | Cox Communications
Industry:Media / Entertainment
IT / Information Technology
Job Description:61 people have viewed this job
VACCINE POLICY: WHERE PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU MUST BE FULLY VACCINATED AGAINST COVID-19 TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS U.S.-BASED JOB (REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS FOR MEDICAL AND RELIGIOUS OBJECTIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED).
NextGear Capital is the largest independent inventory finance company in North America. We are a member of the Cox Automotive family. We are located in beautiful Carmel, IN; consistently rated in the top ten of Best Places to Live in America. We are in the market for a Director, Software Engineering to join our Product & Engineering leadership team. This position will identify solutions to daily challenges, inspire and lead our engineering development team, work closely with the other members of the Product & Engineering leadership team as well as key business stakeholders.
Our Engineering division is detail-oriented and extraordinarily passionate. We thrive on designing simple and scalable solutions to complex problems and creating leading edge software solutions for our business. We are looking for humble, smart and hungry individuals who are comfortable working with an agile approach to software engineering.
The Director, Software Engineering is responsible for providing guidance and direction to software engineering managers and teams leading software development for the NextGear Capital Product & Engineering team. He or she works closely with leaders of functional groups (such as Architecture and Product) to ensure the creation of software that provides value within the organization. The Director will be responsible for software engineering oversight, process improvement identification and implementation, risk mitigation, budget management, and hiring.
• Leader: We need someone who can inspire and coach engineering managers and team members.
• Communication: We need someone who can give feedback (both positive and constructively critical). Communicate clearly and concisely to implement leading/best practices and processes to ensure alignment across the Engineering teams.
• Social: We need someone who knows how to work in and out of organizational boundaries and is not difficult to work with. You will need to positively work through situations of healthy conflict when they occur.
• Ownership: We need someone who will own ensure our teams continually create software that solves business problems. You will need to ensure our teams develop software in the right way. You will need to make sure our organization continues to improve at the craft.
• Innovation: Promote a culture of innovation that shares technology effectively and responsibly; you will refine and embody a cross-functional Engineering culture that works for all departments, encouraging knowledge transfer and professional growth.
• Leadership and management of managers responsible for engineering teams and providing overall technical direction. Provide professional development and mentorship to managers and team members.
• Establish software engineering standards and guidelines for software engineering organization.
• Conceives team structure and constantly seeks opportunities to adjust team structure to maximize agility and efficiency.
• Champion communications on technology and strategic initiatives
• Establish a fun, creative and enjoyable environment balanced with strong collaboration and productivity.
• Present issues and risks, and their business impact to management in a timely manner with proposed mitigation. Actively seeks and removes impediments to team success regardless of where they originate.
• Human resource contributions associated with the team, including recruiting, hiring, performance evaluation, and coaching.
• Monitor and manage budget for software engineering teams.
• Collaboration across multiple business units and functional departments to develop and deploy solutions that address key business initiatives, supporting new revenue opportunities.
• Inspire the division to strive for innovation, efficiency, continual learning and a desire to search for new ideas and technologies.
• Continuously improves software development productivity, quality, predictability, and team morale.
• Establish people management and processes to attract and retain the best talent in the software and technology space.
• Bachelor's Degree and 10 years software engineering with at least 5 years managing software development professionals and teams, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Demonstrated experience executing Agile methods for software product development
• Very strong business analysis, system analysis and product analysis skills
• Ability to work well in a team-oriented environment
• High integrity, energetic, capable, confident and self-motivated individual
• Excellent planning and prioritization skills with the ability to multitask and adapt to rapid change.
• Demonstrable commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical audiences.
Who We Are
About Cox Automotive
There’s nothing ordinary about Cox Automotive. We are people of every background driven by our passion for mobility, innovation, client success and community outreach. We make buying, selling and owning (or simply using) cars easier for everyone. Touching more than 40,000 clients across five continents, we bring together the best brands and the best teams to propel the automotive industry forward. Some of those team members work for our iconic consumer brands like Autotrader and Kelley Blue Book, while others are creating the future of automotive at industry-facing brands like Dealer.com, Manheim and vAuto.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators.We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation.We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow.
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO).
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.Cox provides reasonable accommodations when requested by a qualified applicant or employee with disability, unless such accommodations would cause an undue hardship.
Already a member? Sign In