Engineering Director, R42 SRE and DevOps
Phoenix, AZ, USA | American Express
IT / Information Technology
Job Description:68 people have viewed this job
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways.Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.”
The Loyalty & Benefits Platform is part of the larger Enterprise Platforms Center of Excellence where product, engineering and delivery resources have been organizationally brought together to improve speed to market and further unlock value across core capabilities.
We are on a journey to create world’s best loyalty & benefit experiences for our customers with a team of energetic and passionate talents using agile practices to build highly available, nimble, extensible & modern platform for loyalty, R42.
The Engineering Director, R42 SRE and DevOps will provide deep technical knowledge and solution delivery at a platform journey and application level. This leader will be primarily responsible for creating a discipline and a role that incorporates aspects of software engineering and applies them to infrastructure and operations problems to crate ultra-scalable and highly reliable distributed software systems. The ideal candidate is a technical expert with a strong software engineering background, which will take a hands-on approach to guide teams of incredibly talented smart creatives in continuing to transform and modernize our core and most critical platform R42, while enabling the team to deliver tangible value to our business stakeholders on an ongoing basis.
- Lead and enable a platform to build highly scalable, resilient, and high precision systems and scale the platform.
- Define and own platform SLAs/SLOs/SLIs, metrics such as availability, latency, and response time with error budgets.
- Enable observability, monitoring, telemetry and instrumentation, incident management, blameless retrospectives, capacity testing and auto scaling.
- Build robust CI/CD pipeline for the R42 platform, automation scripts, deployment pipeline and reduce toil.
- Improve Resilience using Fire Drills, Chaos Monkey, Security and Automation
- Highly collaborative and provide technical expertise to help engineers overcome technical problems.
- Lead a set of highly talented, transformational, and dynamic engineers in the architecture, design, engineering, and implementation of key R42 platform components.
- Work with Principal Engineers and Architects to define solution requirements and technical implementation approach.
- Actively participate in team and company-wide Architecture and Engineering discussions and forums.
- Sets up best practices for software development and test.
- Identifies opportunities to adopt innovative technologies
- Analyze, design, program, debug, and modify software for use in local, networked, cloud-based or Internet-related environments.
“Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.”
- 3-5 years of active Engineering experience in a complex environment and/or comparable experience.
- Experience with design and implementation of distributed applications
- Hands-on coding experience in the R42 platform primary technology stack (Go, Docker, K8s, Kafka, Elastic and Postgres relevant frameworks, languages, OS libraries, etc.).
- Demonstrated willingness to learn new technologies, and takes pride in how fast they develop working software
- Understanding of and experience with core American Express Enterprise Platforms a plus.
- Recent hand-on experience with modern software engineering concepts (e.g.CI/CD, DevOps, containers, microservices, etc.).
- Proven ability to transform business requirements into high-quality production software.
- Demonstrated ability to optimize the performance of enterprise software systems and/or components.
- Ability to participate in the prevention, diagnosis, and resolution of system outages as an expert in the underlying platform architecture.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Systems, or related field.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Systems, or related field a plus.