EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, GOVERNMENT PUBLIC AFFAIRS
Irvine, CA, USA | Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center
Industry:Healthcare - Hospitals
Job Description:62 people have viewed this job
This is an unparalleled opportunity for an Executive Director, Government Public Affairs.
The Executive Director, Government and Public Affairs is accountable for the overall management and performance of the government and public affairs function within the state of California and contributes to the coordination of the activities of the department of Government and Public Affairs. The position is accountable for ensuring the effectiveness of Providence St. Joseph Health's advocacy work at the state and local level and providing strategic guidance to regional and ministry operations. The position also supports the public policy and regulatory affairs function of the department.
- Serves as the lead external advocate for PSJH in the state of California, with a focus on advancing public policy in accordance with the Mission and strategic direction of the ministry to state and local legislative and policy making bodies.
- Supervises the Director, Public Affairs – California and Manager, Public Affairs in support of the strategic functions of the Government and Public Affairs Department, the Community Partnerships Division and the PSJH system, as well as advocacy and engagement goals in the state of California. Provides leadership in setting advocacy priorities, developing policy positions and engaging regional and ministry leadership teams in grassroots advocacy.
- Acts as a key strategic resource for operations leaders and business development/strategy professionals, translating external state-based government and stakeholder activity and developments to support direction setting and increased performance levels.
- Accountable for establishing and overseeing the execution of a robust public affairs program to support local ministries.
- Leads the state and local legislative and political advocacy in order to assess the effect of various policy initiatives on the strategic interests of PSJH and its partners.
- Develops, maintains and manages the organization’s relationships with key external partners, stakeholders and constituencies in support of advocacy goals. Ensures compliance with all policies, laws and legal requirements on lobbying activities.
- Designs and oversees a robust partners program for PSJH leadership within California, including:
- Links leadership with key policymakers.
- Develops and provides supporting materials for briefings and talking points.
- Creates internal presentations explaining the partners program.
- Initiates, manages and monitors contacts through the program.
- Collaborates with regional and local ministry staff on local strategies and contacts.
- Provides timely tracking and reporting contacts and outcomes.
- Develops a deep connection between PSJH and external policy makers by coordinating visits with public officials at PSJH facilities and at state capitols. Ensures PSJH leaders are fully briefed prior to visits/tours.
- Implements and maintain effective communication structures to inform PSJH leaders about state and local legislative and policy issues. This includes design and maintenance of useful and informative state-specific government affairs intranet sites, as well as providing educational presentations to internal audiences on government relations and advocacy.
- Leads the production of white papers and analysis, including recommended positioning on legislative measures and regulatory proposals.
- Attends and, as necessary, provides public oral or written testimony in state and local legislative and public hearings.
- Leads the tracking of state and local health policy issues and provides appropriate summary updates.
- Understands and supports the mission, values, and goals of PSJH and ensures that position papers, advocacy efforts, and related governmental affairs activities are compatible with the core values of the organization.
- Coordinates and drafts position statements, media materials, newsletter articles and collateral pieces for use in internal and external strategic communication on health and social policy issues.
- Provides support and information to public affairs and community relations coordinators regarding legislators and public policy issues.
- Manages external consultants of state and local-focused lobbying services in the state of California.
- Serves on PSJH committees where public policy/advocacy advice or representation is needed.
Required experience/education for this position include:
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Policy, Law, Political Science, Business, Communications, Government, or Health Administration; or equivalent educ/experience
- 8 years of work experience in legislative activities, with specific experience in the state of California
- Demonstrated leadership, program management, communication, analytical, creative conceptual thinking, and writing skills
- Demonstrated competency in research, writing, public speaking, and personal computer and software applications
- Ability to travel frequently within the state of California
- Knowledge of local, state and federal governmental legislative and regulatory processes and governmental relations
- Demonstrated analytical, creative conceptual thinking, research, presentation and writing skills
- Ability to participate in a team effort to accomplish tasks and goals, meet deadlines, handle sensitive information and adapt to shifting workload
- Demonstrated independent and complex problem-solving skills
- Proficient in MS Office suite products
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and written
- Proactively identifies ways to enhance or improve programs, processes and systems
- Demonstrated skills in working collaboratively, courteously and tactfully with difficult situations and/or people to identify issues and solve problems
- Exercises discretion, sensitivity, tact and respect for confidentiality at all times
- Willingness to participate in a team effort to “do what it takes to get the job done” to meet deadlines, handle sensitive information and adapt to shifting workloads.
Preferred experience/education for this position include:
Master’s Degree in related discipline; or equivalent educ/experience
Already a member? Sign In