Executive Vice President & Chief Executive Officer
Washington, DC, USA | American Pharmacists Association
Industry:Pharmaceutical / Biotech
Job Description:106 people have viewed this job
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Executive Vice President and Chief Executive Officer (EVP & CEO) of APhA will report directly to the Association’s Board of Trustees and be responsible for the effective operation of the Association. S/he will lead the direction of operations and activities of APhA, as a whole, including the APhA Foundation and the Board of Pharmacy Specialties, and 2200 C Street LLC. S/he will be responsible for advising and making recommendations to the Board of Trustees with respect to these activities and policies. The EVP & CEO will also maintain appropriate financial management policies and procedures with the Executive Committee, the Treasurer, and the Board of Trustees Finance Committee and maintain appropriate staffing and resources to meet APhA goals. This position requires full time and attention and is based at the APhA Headquarters, 2215 Constitution Avenue, NW, Washington, DC.
Critical Competencies for Success
Responsible for the formulation of recommendations to Board of Trustees regarding the Association’s mission, goals and objectives, and related policies.
• Communicate regularly with the Board of Trustees regarding the conditions and operations of the Association, and on all important factors influencing it;
• Formulate and recommend policies and programs for the approval of the Board of Trustees through development of an annual program of work and budget;
• Provide timely reporting to the Board of Trustees and Association membership regarding events within and outside the Association which affect pharmacy and healthcare;
• Receive overall direction from and provide recommendations and support to the APhA Board of Trustees;
• Attend all meetings of the Board of Trustees and provide timely minutes of meetings;
• Effectively provide oversight and management of the 2200 C Street LLC (2215 Constitution Avenue) and lease with the GSA for the APhA Headquarters facilities.
Responsible for the effective conduct of affairs and the leadership of the APhA headquarters’ staff, including fulfillment of work programs aligned with a Board approved strategic plan and budget.
• Maintain appropriate staffing and resources to meet APhA goals and provide leadership and guidance to senior management staff regarding CEO and Board priorities and policy directions in accordance with APhA vision for the profession and the needs of APhA’s membership;
• Provide programs and services of high quality that give members opportunities to participate in APhA activities and to contribute to the work of the association.
• Monitor and direct all Association work, including official Association public statements and publications, to assure alignment with approved policies, procedures and good management practices that maintain appropriate substantive, conceptual and political effectiveness.
• Supervise and direct effective communication of activities of the Board and committees;
• Oversee and monitor the nominations and elections process to ensure compliance with procedures and policies and the maintenance of a diverse and effective volunteer leadership, including implementation of House of Delegates policies and activities authorized by the Board of Trustees;
• Execute such contracts and commitments as are authorized by the APhA Board of Trustees and the governing boards of the other APhA entities or as established policy in APhA’s Finance and Administrative Services Division Policy and Procedures Manual.
Responsible for maintaining effective internal and external relations.
• APhA represents all pharmacists in all practice settings. The CEO has the privilege and responsibility to represent all pharmacists before policy makers and the public.
• In concert with the elected President, serve as the spokesperson for APhA and the voice of the profession, and, as such, undertake speeches, appearances, and other opportunities for contact with the public and private sectors as consistent with the priorities of the Association;
• Oversee advocacy and government relations activities through staff in the Policy and Practice Division; maintain direct involvement in government relations, as appropriate, including providing testimony and taking lead role in interactions with senior officials of government agencies and other organizations;
• Effectively maintain such relationships with other associations, state associations, professions, government, public service organizations and others as necessary in the best interests of APhA.
• Provide effective leadership of all APhA staff by maximizing synergy and collaboration between teams and departments, resolving conflicting objectives to assure that the association’s best interests are served and effective internal relations result, and continuously developing a workplace environment that attracts and retains top talent within a supportive and dynamic organizational culture.
• In addition to full responsibility for APhA and the APhA Foundation, serve as a leader/manager, board member, and/or chair of the following organizations, to collaborate on initiatives and activities that help meet the APhA’s broad mission:
o Pharmacy e HIT Collaborative (Ex Officio Board Position);
o Pharmacy Quality Alliance (PQA);
o Pharmacy Quality Solutions (PQS);
o Board of Pharmacy Specialties (BPS) (Supervises Executive Director);
o Center for Pharmacy Practice Accreditation (CPPA) (Ex Officio Board);
o Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) (Ex Officio Board);
o Patient Access to Pharmacists Care Coalition (PAPCC) (Steering Committee);
o Joint Commission of Pharmacy Practitioners (JCPP);
o NABP’s Top Level Domain Pharmacy (.pharmacy);
o National Council of Pharmaceutical Organizations (NCPO);
o International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP) (Ex Officio Member Organization Representative);
o 2200 C Street Limited Liability Corporation (LLC) Ex Officio supervision;
o Pharmacy Profiles, LLC (Board of Managers); and
o Any new corporations, subsidiaries, or joint ventures that APhA may be involved with in the future.
Responsible for ensuring legal and financial integrity of the Association.
Under the general direction of the Board of Trustees, develop and maintain appropriate fiscal management policies and procedures with the Executive Committee, the Treasurer, and the Board of Trustees Finance Committee;
• Oversee the authorized and proper expenditure of funds, and assure that all funds, physical assets, and other property of the Association are appropriately safeguarded and administered;
• Assure the accomplishment of Association fiscal goals;
• Ensure compliance with Board of Trustees’ and academy officers’ conflict of interest policies;
• Assure appropriate legal review and legal compliance of all Association activities.
• Assist in management of conflicts of interest to assure effective best practices.
Policy and Governance:
Execute such other responsibilities as may be stated in the APhA Bylaws and governing documents of other APhA entities.
• Serve as Secretary of the non-profit corporation, the American Pharmacists Association;
• Serve as a voting member of the APhA Board of Trustees;
• Serve as a voting member of the Board of Trustees Executive Committee;
• Serve as a voting member of the Board of Trustees Finance Committee;
• Serve as Secretary to the House of Delegates;
• Serve as Secretary of the APhA Foundation; with oversight of Executive Director and
• Serve as APhA’s representative to the Center for Pharmacy Practice Accreditation (CPPA), Pharmacy Quality Solutions (PQS), Pharmacy e-Health Information Technology Collaborative, National Council of Pharmaceutical Organizations, the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB), 2200 C Street LLC and Pharmacy Profiles, LLC.
Requisite Qualifications, Characteristics, and Experience
Must be a Member, or eligible to become a Member, of the Association and be an individual licensed to practice pharmacy in the U.S. or holding an earned degree in pharmacy.
Management and pharmacy, preferably some part of which to have been in an entrepreneurial environment; senior level national association experience desirable (with substantive financial complexity). Experience conducting or familiarity with research within the profession.
Years of Experience required:
15 plus years in pharmacy; 5 years in leadership position in a large organization with complex financial involvements.
Budgeting and financial analysis, written and oral presentation skills, executive level association management experience. Familiarity with pharmacy training in an academic environment preferred.
Skills and professional attributes required:
• Ability to lead and lead change, strategic thinker and ability to manage risks.
• Effective communicator (oral and written) and works well with staff, members, officers and others, fostering an inclusive workplace and valuing individual differences.
• Broad knowledge of pharmacy and healthcare essential to scope of the position.
• Results driven with ability to delegate tasks effectively.
• Models high standards of ethics with unquestioned integrity.
• Possessing political savvy and awareness, builds alliances and collaborates across boundaries to build strategic relationships that address organization goals.
• Ability to establish/maintain a climate of excellence through effective leadership.
• Demonstrated ability to identify and analyze problems and make well-informed and timely decisions with conclusions based upon available information.
• Conscientiousness with a high energy in carrying out responsibilities.
• Strong work ethic and willingness to lead by example.
• Decisive, self-starter, creative, possessing entrepreneurial approach.
• APhA is a complex, diverse enterprise. The CEO must be fully committed to the job and its demands.
• This position requires extensive travel.
• The person holding this position is expected to be domiciled in the Washington D.C. Metro area.
A competitive compensation package will be offered to attract an outstanding candidate.
Already a member? Sign In