Geotechnical Operations Manager
Oakville, Canada | Kiewit
Industry:Architecture / Construction / Civil Engineering
Job Description:86 people have viewed this job
Kiewit has an immediate opening for a Geotechnical Operations Manager to join our Design-Build Infrastructure Engineering leadership team.The Geotechnical Operations Manager will work closely with the Geotechnical Design Engineering Director, Chief Geotechnical Engineer, and other members of the leadership team to grow and manage the operational needs of the Canadian Design-Build Geotechnical group.The successful candidate will bring energy, enthusiasm, and a focus on collaboration while providing administrative, technical, quality, and safety leadership for the engineers and designers of the Canadian Design-Build Geotechnical group.
The Geotechnical Operations Manager will also work with an interdisciplinary team that includes structural, roadway, drainage and materials engineers as well as estimators, schedulers and other construction professionals to identify geotechnical engineering problems and develop appropriate solutions primarily for transportation-related projects.The Geotechnical Operations Manager will be responsible for overseeing the production and/or review of engineering reports and geotechnical analyses, as well as directing the work of staff geotechnical engineers in Laval (QC), Oakville, (ON), and Burnaby (BC).
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
• Identifying, developing, and aligning high performance teams and individuals to meet organizational goals.
• Coordinating and continually monitoring staff assignments and staff workloads; developing staffing forecasts.
• Fostering an environment that emphasizes collaboration and coordination; providing feedback and encouraging learning to create growth opportunities; mentoring team members.
• Assisting in development of training strategies; overseeing technical training and ensuring the technical competency of Canadian Design-Build Geotechnical staff.
• Ensuring designs are completed with consistent application of design standards, technical approaches, and in accordance with the design quality management program.
• Advising and providing direction to staff on proper execution of complex and advanced deliverables; potentially serving as engineer of record with responsibility for design recommendations and deliverables associated with advanced design components.
• Working with pursuit teams to identify key geotechnical design risks and develop plans to mitigate those risks.
• Coordinating with the Design Management team to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
• Leading the exploration of alternate designs or new technologies to challenge the status quo and provoke exploration of new or innovative design solutions.
• Collaborating with staff and the Design Management Team to develop work scopes and labor estimates.
Quality and Safety
• Leading by example with respect to safety, quality, and fostering a culture of continuous improvement.
• Coordinating with the quality management team to train staff and implement the design quality management program.
• Minimum 15 years of progressive geotechnical design experience, including design-build delivery.
• Professional engineering registration in Canada, required.
• Master's degree, or equivalent experience, in Geotechnical Engineering or closely related field, required.
• Minimum 5 years of experience managing an engineering department, required.
• Design-build and design management experience, preferred.
• Demonstrated broad technical knowledge of geotechnical engineering and technical solutions to geotechnical issues on transportation projects, including ability to develop and evaluate innovative and cost-effective design solutions to problems and challenges.
• Transportation-focused experience including: design of deep foundations, shallow foundations, slope stability, seismic engineering, retaining wall design, earth retention, rock mechanics, settlement of compressible soils, ground improvement techniques, support of excavations, and dewatering.
• Demonstrates strong verbal and written communication skills, with a demonstrated focus on interdisciplinary design coordination; English required, bilingual (French/English) preferred.
• Strong interpersonal skills resulting in exceptional rapport with people.Proven success in initiating, promoting, and maintaining strong interpersonal relationships amongst the team.
• This position requires travel to project offices and work sites. Ability to travel based on business needs and requirements.
Already a member? Sign In