Lead Cost Out Engineer
Cheltenham, United Kingdom | General Electric
Industry:Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas
Job Description:51 people have viewed this job
We are seeking a Lead Cost Out Engineer who thrives on making a strong personal contribution and who is motivated to help make the organisation a little better every day. You want to deliver – for our customers, for the business and for yourself. Organisations face increasing challenges with respect to business and product costs, the Lead Cost Out Engineer is an exciting opportunity to drive innovative approaches and take responsibility for achieving Cost Out across a range of product portfolios.
This will be an exciting role based within the Sustaining part of the Power Distribution & Controls business unit. The Sustaining organisation is responsible for the strategy and health of electrical power distribution, controllers and display post-design products.
You will play a significant role in defining the scope and strategy to achieve Cost Out Objectives over the coming years, with the potential for significant exposure at a local and global level.
- Work cross functionally within GE and with GE’s supply base to identify Cost Out opportunities.
- Determine the feasibility of Cost Out opportunities with respect to product performance requirements and if suitable, transform into a working concept.
- Generate financial business cases to determine if Cost Out opportunities are viable, assessing characteristics such as the Return on Investment (ROI), Internal Rate of Return (IRR) and Payback Period (PP).
- Generate a plan to enable the execution of a Cost Out based projects. Ensuring that any key steps for validation are considered, such as prototyping and qualification testing.
- Support the Quality and Sourcing organisations with product transfers to new and alternative suppliers, ensuring that key characteristics and requirements for product realisation are understood.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- A Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering related subject or able to demonstrate equivalent level of industrial experience.
- A candidate with a Systems Engineering or Electronics/Electrical Hardware based background is preferred, but open to all candidates with the right attitude and aptitude.
- Understanding of DO-254 and DO-160 requirements and ideally, experience of application.
- Previous experience in a product design and manufacturing based industry
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to present information at all levels of the business and generate technical reports to a high-quality standard.
- Previous experience in a Cost Out / Lean based Engineering role
GE supports and encourages flexible working arrangements, where possible, and recognises the benefits to employees of having a positive work-life balance.
At GE Aviation we understand the importance of Total Reward. Our flexible benefits plan, called FlexChoice, gives you freedom, choice and flexibility in the way you receive your benefits, as well as giving you the opportunity to make savings where possible. As a new joiner to GE we are pleased to be able to offer you the following as default in your benefit fund, which you then can tailor to meet your individual needs;
- Non-contributory Pension
- Life Assurance
- Group income protection
- Private medical cover
- Holiday Hourly equivalent of 26 days, with flexible option to buy or sell
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance: BPSS
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, under the applicable UK immigration rules as may be in place from time to time, it may be that candidates who do not currently have the right to work in the UK may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled candidate who does not require sponsorship is available to take up the post. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.
Already a member? Sign In