Lead Data Engineer (Director level) - Visa Business Data Solutions
Austin, TX, USA | Visa
Functions:IT / Information Technology
Job Description:59 people have viewed this job
As a Lead Data Engineer – you will lead, design, enhance and build our services with technology teams for Customers in an agile development environment. You will be working with colleagues, who will help, support and challenge you every day. Unit testing, code reviewing, and regular check-ins for continuous integration is just part of your DNA. You will be a key player to lift the Engineering Excellence of your and surrounding teams. You will be owning the multiple scrum teams to drive them and execute the business requirements. If this sounds exciting, we would love to chat and tell you more about our work culture and environment.
You will drive technical solutions that have a direct impact on the payment industry. The solutions you design will be large scale, always available, secure, fast, accessible, and globally ready with an impact measured in future years.
Your solutions will be used by millions of people worldwide every minute of the day.As the Lead Data Engineer, you will have the opportunity to bring your creative curiosity and technology experience to work every day and help build platforms and solutions that are consumed across Visa Business Data Solutions platforms to create seamless, fast, reliable and user-friendly experiences.
You will interact with organizational stake holders such as senior executives, senior leads, senior managers, senior product managers, and external partners. You will have the opportunity to build technical solutions and influence release roadmaps.
You will be an integral part of the Visa Business Data Solutions Team and have the opportunity to build the data solutions that delivers on the organizational vision for consistency, quality, developer productivity, security, reusability, and availability across Visa's global infrastructure.
The successful candidate to fill this role will have a strong influence new payment flows design including Commercial payments, B2B payments, Small Business and Government Payments.
Technical environment, Bigdata open source technologies and relational databases across platform e.g., Big Data, Spark, Scala, Java, Hadoop, HBASE, DB2, MySQL, Kafka, Streaming, Oozie, Sqoop, Unix Scripting, Rocks DB, Data API, MapReduce, Airflow. The job involves data architecture, design, development, optimization, setting expectations and SLAs with focus on reliability, availability and performance to enable Visa's Global clients.
We are looking for a self-motivated individual with Data engineering skills and expertise with Big Data systems integration and technologies. The candidate will be extensively involved in hands-on activities including POCs, design, development, and documentation with focus on monetizing data and helping enable our Commercial clients globally. Success in this role will require technical depth and a customer focused demeanor with a self-motivating personality and a strong work ethic, Superior communication skills verbal, written, listening and presentation are a must.
This position reports into the Director of Business solutions Data product development and is based in Austin, Texas.
- Perform Business Requirements analysis and translate requirements into technical requirements.
- Architect, Design and Develop data-driven ETL applications and services
- Provide technical expertise in leading and driving projects from inception to closure
- Work independently as well as collaborate effectively with cross functional teams on case-by-case basis.
- Work with Product team,other data engineers and DevOps to deliver features on time.
- Develop ETL data pipelines using open source bigdata technologies.
- Serve as a technical mentor for development team. Be a change agent with hands-on ability to build POC products and set the best practices.
- Perform code reviews and help the team to produce quality code.
- Work in a geographically distributed team setup.
- Propose new solutions to meet the fast-changing payments industry landscape.
- Identify opportunities for further enhancements and refinements to standards and processes.
- Fine tune the existing application with new ideas and optimization opportunities to reduce the latency to meet the client SLAs.
- Lead the data architecture and related technical strategies in the areas of data management, data platform, data quality, ETL, enrichment and data integration.
- Build data strategy to enable both short-term and long-term needs for an extensible, trustworthy, and modern data architecture capable of evolving with changing needs.
- Scoping/Effort Estimates: contribute to solution scoping and effort sizing with a cross-functional team.
- Research: stay informed on technology trends and product roadmaps to make informed solution architecture recommendations.
- Lead/Work with the multiple scrum teams with data engineers to provide the solutions and implement them by driving the delivery teams.
This is an on-site position. An on-site position must be consistently performed at an assigned Visa office location and require daily commute to the office location.
• 12+ years of relevant work experience with a Bachelor's Degree or at least 8+ years of relevant work experience with a Masters Degree, or a PhD.
• Bachelor degree in a technical field such as computer science, computer engineering or related field required. Advanced degree preferred
• Minimum of 12+ years of software development experience (with a concentration in data centric initiatives), with demonstrated expertise in leveraging development best practice methodologies.
• Minimum of 8+ years of experience in building large-scale applications using open source technologies. Design and coding skills with Big Data technologies like Hadoop, Spark, Scala, Java, Hive, HBase, Oozie, Data APIs, streaming and Map Reduce.
• Relevant experience with software design, Data engineering, architecture and ETL data pipeline development life cycle.
• Hands-on expertise with Spark/Scala or Spark/Java or Spark/Python.
• Experience with highly distributed, scalable, concurrent and low latency systems.
• Deep knowledge of Unix/Linux, Shell Scripting and writing SQL queries.
• Deep knowledge of all Data Warehouse related components (Sourcing, ETL, Data Modeling, Infrastructure, Reporting, Data Visualization) and multiple tools to support those components.
• Strong foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms and software design optimized for building highly distributed and parallelized systems
• Experience with Agile methodologies. Work experience in improving the client experience.
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills with a strong automation and customer mindset
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• Must have strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal). Should be comfortable facilitating multi-team activities.
• Experience in Machine learning is a big plus.
• Payment processing background is a big plus.
Visa has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, all employees based in the U.S. are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department.
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting.The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer.Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
Already a member? Sign In