Lead Engineer, Component Testing
Eastleigh, United Kingdom | General Electric
Industry:Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas
Job Description:52 people have viewed this job
Activities contributing to the design and development of products, solutions and systems. Includes activities linked to technical improvement of existing products and components Impacts departmental operations and responsible for planning/execution. The role has some autonomy but is focused on execution of activities within an operating discipline covered by standard functional practices and procedures. Some judgment may be required but this is typically with guidance.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for execution of laboratory and field validation testing, inspection and data acquisition for use in the design and validation of products and services. Responsible for design and construction of test facilities, instrumentation systems and the development of test software
- In-depth understanding of key business drivers; uses this understanding to accomplish own work. In-depth understanding of how work of own team integrates with other teams and contributes to the area.
- Uses some level of judgement and has ability to propose different solutions outside of set parameters but with guidance. Uses prior experience and on-the-job training to solve straightforward tasks. Has access to technical skills and analytic thinking required to solve problems. May use multiple internal sources outside of own team to arrive at decisions.
- A job at this level is likely to be an individual contributor with proven interpersonal skills or an early people leader who can hire and develop talent. Provides informal guidance to new team members
- Development of robust methodologies and/ or maturing existing methods to test and qualify Polymer Matrix composites; mainly related to Epoxies, Carbon and Pultrusion’s
- Owns Development of Component / structural test methods aimed at de-risking & validating the structural components / design and carry out RCA’s independently to solve an issue
- Perform data analysis of the test and proactively provide improvement recommendations
- Coordinating with in-house and external test institutes to ensure on-time delivery of tests
- Evaluate the In-house machine setup and develop new test equipment’s
- Collaboration with various internal stakeholders such as Engineering Team & Test laboratories etc. and ensure quality & timely delivery for prioritized projects across engineering projects
- Contribute to and execute departmental strategy
- At minimum a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical / Aerospace Engineering with relevant experience in Polymer Matrix Composite (preferably carbon, epoxy, pultrusion) manufacturing and testing
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience in testing structural components
- Preferably knowledge of LEAN and Six Sigma methodology
- Good communication skills and proactive approach
- A good team player
- Capability to work in multi-cultural teams in multi-site.
- Good English language skills (written and oral)
- 3D CAD modeling / FEA analysis knowledge
- Programming skills (Python, VBA etc.)
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problems. Ability to document, plan, market, and execute programs. Established project management skills.
Already a member? Sign In