Lead Engineer - Controls Engineering
Stafford, United Kingdom | General Electric
Industry:Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas
Job Description:66 people have viewed this job
Systems engineering is a cross-functional engineering discipline centered on an approach, mindset, and process. All activities that consider both the business and the technical needs of the customers with the goal of providing a quality product that meets the users needs. The discipline that executes a robust process of design, creation, and optimization of systems, consisting of identification and quantification of system requirements, creation of alternate system design concepts, performance of design trade studies, selection and implementation of the best designs and verification that the design is properly integrated and executed. Process that proceeds from concept to production to operation.
Impacts departmental operations and responsible for planning/execution. The role has some autonomy but is focused on execution of activities within an operating discipline covered by standard functional practices and procedures.
Some judgment may be required but this is typically with guidance.
The role will work within defined parameters to make decisions, apply concepts to issues of moderate complexity, and resolve issues through immediate action or short-term planning. You will be part of a team that defines the network configuration of an HVDC control system as part of a project delivery team.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the design of LAN networks and Communication Architectures of the HVDC Control System from concept to commissioning. Identify and configure all interfaces with third party telecom systems in a substation environment.
- Able to design secure networks following the company’s Cybersecurity best practices.
- Experience with setting up Satellite clock systems and configuring various time synchronization protocols such as PTP, NTP
- Producing Network Diagrams detailing the high-level LAN topology, redundancy and networking equipment used.
- Define IP address strategies for the complete control system.
- Able to configure Operator Workstations in a substation environment including Network Interface Cards,set up active directories , disable services etc
- Lead the design, configuration and testing required to deliver on time and within defined budgets the HVDC Control System.
- Follow the departments standard design practices, engineering reviews and guidelines.
- Oversee the testing and FAT witnessing of the Control System.
- Prepare and present technical information for Substation Control System LAN Networks to internal and external customers.
- Assist site activities relevant to the installation and commissioning of the control system LAN network.
- Share engineering information and promote open dialogue.
- Assure proper documentation of technical data generated for the assigned projects and/or tasks consistent with engineering policies and procedures.
- Qualification in Communication engineering or related field.
- Strong background in configuring Substation LAN’s especially within a IEC61850 environment
- Excellent knowledge of commonly used Layer2&3 protocols such as Ipv4,OSPF,LACP,DMZ,VPN
- Knowledge of Network Security/Hardening and Cybersecurity best practices.
- Experience with one of REASON,Westermo,Meinberg products is advantageous.
- Strong background in Distributed Control Systems / Substation Automation
- Understanding of fibre optic cabling systems
- Experienced in developing network designs for industrial control systems
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problems. Ability to document, plan, market, and execute programs. Established project management skills.
To comply with US immigration and other legal requirements, it is necessary to specify the minimum number of years' experience required for any role based within the USA. For roles outside of the USA, to ensure compliance with applicable legislation, the JDs should focus on the substantive level of experience required for the role and a minimum number of years should NOT be used.
Already a member? Sign In