Manager - Distribution System Planning
Berlin, CT, USA | Eversource Energy
Industry:Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas
Job Description:54 people have viewed this job
Role and Scope of Position:
Builds a multi-faceted team to assess distribution system planning needs in the Company’s Connecticut service area and develops plans and programs to expand the bulk distribution system to accommodate current and future demand from load growth and electrification impacts. The Manager of Distribution System Planning (DSP) in CT actively coordinates with DSP managers in other states, as well as managers of DER Planning, Distribution Resiliency, Advanced Forecasting and Modeling, and Transmission Planning. In addition, the position interacts with many departments and processes inside and outside the Engineering organization, including Distribution Engineering, Substation Engineering, Protection and Control, Asset Management, Grid Modernization, IT, Siting and Permitting, Real Estate, Energy Efficiency, GIS, Revenue Forecasting, Regulatory and Policy and other stakeholders in developing a coordinated, long-term approach to planning and expanding the system while preserving safe, reliable, resilient operation under all applicable scenarios. The candidate also takes a leadership role in development of the Company’s comprehensive strategy for the state’s energy infrastructure and driving the necessary regulatory changes for adoption in regulatory rate case proceedings.
This position is key to Eversource’s advanced system planning strategy in CT, to build a dedicated, responsive organization to support the scope of activities needed to meet state and customer expectations for load growth, electrification, clean energy, and resiliency in the 21st century. The Manager of Distribution System Planning will drive fundamental changes in the way we study and assess future distribution needs, the way we develop models, perform analyses, and deploy solutions, and how we apply equipment and technology to ensure safe, reliable service for all our customers.
The role requires active leadership in ongoing regulatory proceedings – to drive changes necessary for successful implementation the Company’s long-term strategy and to proactively develop infrastructure and Non-Wires investments to enable seamless transition to a decarbonization future.
• Takes ownership and responsibility of Distribution Planning activities across the state of Connecticut, including planning for new bulk and non-bulk distribution substations, station upgrades for capacity or reliability needs, mobile transformer positions, critical distribution ties, and NWA solutions, including but not limited to battery storage applications
• Develops and documents processes and standards for system modeling, planning and analysis working closely with System Planning Managers and other stakeholders
• Provides input into the load forecast process, including step loads and station growth projections
• Leads development of advanced planning methods and the application of existing equipment, new technologies and innovative solutions
• Manages and mentors a team of highly skilled engineers to produce state-of-the-art analyses that enable prudent, proactive, responsive, data-driven distribution planning measures, including requirements for various dockets
• Leads development of data, processes, and standards to enable better technical, regulatory, and financial resiliency planning decisions
• Works closely with other DSP managers to maintain and update the Distribution System Planning Guide and other applicable Company planning guides and standards
• Engages directly with vendors, partners, and government entities to develop new methods, obtain novel equipment and technology, initiate and support studies, to enable the transition to a more resilient system
• Works closely and across multiple departments to ensure system upgrade plans and programs are vetted, socialized, and accepted, and that any external communication with respect to system upgrades represents the Company’s position accurately
• Works with other DSP and DER managers to implement the transition of system modeling from a snapshot to a full 8760 time-series model
• Works with the Manager of Advanced Modeling and Forecasting to drive the development and maintenance of multi-year distribution load-flow planning models (especially Synergi), profiles, and DER dispatch patterns for System Planning departments
• Works with Grid Mod, IT, and vendors to identify tools and processes to improve distribution system planning and analysis and procure training as needed for planning engineers
• Provides regulatory testimony, expert testimony, and rate case support as needed and supports filings and siting/permitting activities as required
• Develops RFPs and procures services and technology as needed for system planning needs
• Manages other engineers, contractors or consultants or groups of engineers and their projects.Develops and manages plans and schedules consistent with the overall business plans and/or project specific plans.
• Presents, directs and/or prepares corporate testimony and written responses for rate cases and other local, state, or federal regulatory proceedings.
• Integrates cross functional groups or teams to initiate and implement projects. Works closely with internal and external stakeholders to address needs with appropriate solutions.
• Formulates Eversource technical positions and recommends company policies and standards on various issues within realm of expertise.
• Interfaces with federal, state, and local organizations external to Eversource on behalf of or as a representative of Eversource.
• Serves on various Eversource internal committees and task forces to provide information and recommendations to Eversource senior management.
• Represents Eversource with respect to assigned area of responsibilities on various industry and professional society committees and working groups.
• Prepares for Eversource senior management such written material as letters and reports in support of technical or policy positions on various aspects of distribution and DER planning.
• Authorizes contract work relating to the distribution forecasting and modeling
• Represents Director – Distribution System Planning as appropriate.
• Provides technical guidance and training for less experienced personnel.
• Possesses excellent knowledge of the electric power system and system planning as well as modeling concepts and requirements
• Demonstrated experience with developing distribution system plans and procedures for ensuring capacity, reliability, and power quality for customers
• Fundamental understanding of electric simulation software and power distribution system analysis, including steady-state and dynamic analysis, and 8760-hour simulation
• Knowledge of distribution planning and design criteria, industry codes, and equipment standards applicable to the Eversource distribution system.
• Familiarity with federal, state, and local regulatory tariffs and provisions applicable to system planning.
• Must have excellent understanding of distribution reliability and resiliency improvement technologies and solutions
• Must be familiar with various DER technologies and their adoption drivers
• Must be familiar with distribution system operations and storm restoration procedures and their impact on reliability and resiliency
• Must be familiar with distribution protection and control concepts and their impact on reliability and resiliency
• Background in system-orientated delivery of solutions to customers
• Knowledge of accounting and engineering economics applicable to develop cost of projects and programs.
• Capable of working in a multi-cultural environment and driving team performance
• Possess highly developed communication skills, i.e., ability to write clearly and concisely, make presentations before senior management and external bodies, ability to discuss ideas and be persuasive, and be able to work effectively with all levels within Eversource, governmental agencies and other outside organizations.
• Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with internal and external customers.
• Ability to provide work under the direction for others, assume authority and be assertive; contributes to the success of the team.
• Demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret information and be aware of strategic implications in order to propose decisions with respect to the specific area of the position in solving highly complex problems.
• Ability to grasp concepts, analyze technical information, determine facts, be sensitive to underlying issues, and make thoughtful recommendations/decisions.
• Self-imposes standards of excellence and has the ability to achieve desired results by assuming responsibility and accountability.
• Demonstrated ability and initiative to solve and/or anticipate problems and recognize the overall consequences to the business unit.
• Highly confident, self-starting individual with strong personal initiative.
• BS degree in Electrical Engineering required
• MS degree in Electrical Engineering or related field preferred
• Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in Distribution Planning in a utility environment or a related business area.
• Management experience required
• Regulatory experience required
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Eversource requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Eversource’s HR department after you have been made a conditional offer of employment. Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment.This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
Already a member? Sign In