Manager - Grid Management
Dorchester, MA, USA | Eversource Energy
Industry:Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas
Job Description:54 people have viewed this job
Plans, schedules, and manages the engineering and technical resources that develop and maintain the static and dynamic models associated with the Energy Management Systems (EMS) and the combined Transmission and Distribution System Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems in support of real time system operations consistent with NERC, NPCC, ISO-NE and any future RTO/ITC policies and procedures. Supports System Operations in delivering tools that meet the needs of System Operators to effectively control Eversource’s transmission and distribution networks. Ensures Real-time IT systems are current, accurate and operational to meet Eversource and external stakeholder operating requirements. Develops and updates procedures to track and prioritize tools development for System Operations.
Provides technical leadership, recognized as having technical expertise, elicits ideas for the solution of unique and/or complex engineering problems, and is accountable for major technical recommendations. Directs and manages supervisors, engineers, technicians, and consultants and provides guidance as appropriate to other Transmission Planning and distribution project Teams. Ensures participation and understanding of project economics, the ISO markets and ISO operations and their effects on the Eversource Transmission Business and its customers. Ensures preparation of documents/testimony, written responses, and presentations for local, state and regulatory requirements are prepared accurately and on time.
• Assists with the establishment of, and monitors, goals, policies, plans, standards, performance objectives and budget for the operation of the Eversource power system.
• Analyzes and recommends resource levels to plan, develop and implement policies and practices.Monitors operating and financial objectives and ensures alignment with organization and corporate goals.
• Responsible for the scheduling of transmission system element outages, as well as for operating support and maintenance of SCADA/EMS displays, and for coordination of outage applications with ISO/NE.
• Coordinates planned transmission outages to ensure reliable operations of the bulk power system.Conducts contingency studies and load flows to evaluate system limitations and risks.
• Communicates with internal and external stakeholders in regards to planned system conditions and contingency planning as it relates to Operational Technology processes on EMS/SCADA and SCADA front End servers.
• Plans, supports, and maintains the integration of DMS and OMS with the SCADA/EMS system
• Contributes to the development of operational and emergency action plans for electric transmission system and bulk supply substations which support the distribution system.
• Develops and supervises Grid Management staff.Implements programs to ensure employees possess technical and behavioral skills required to support operating plans.Manages, selects, coaches and develops staff.
• Assists in the development and implementation of best practices to achieve efficient and effective transmission and distribution system operations and dispatch.Assists in the planning and implementation of technological enhancements for the Control Centers.
• Responsible for accuracy of the SCADA database, T&D SCADA models in EMS/DMS, and validation of the two distribution models in DMS & OMS.
• Coordinates with IT management and Grid Mod technical personnel for the replacement, upgrade, and maintenance of EMS/DMS/SCADA,OMS and related computer/control systems.
• Provides and evaluates recommendations for telemetry communications architectures and implementations.
• Coordinates the development, testing, and maintenance of software systems and tools to track and retain critical system values to allow post analysis of real time system conditions.
• Maintains SCADA Front-end communication servers and associated communication channels to remote RTU’s
• Coordinates maintenance of all SCADA communications from Front-End servers to remote RTU’s between the System Operations control Rooms and field Communications personnel
• Supports Control Center simulator IT systems and ensure T&D SCADA and EMS/DMS applications are properly maintained.
• Provides seasonal analysis models and tools for System Operations.
• Maintains departmental capital and expense expenditures within budget and cash flow parameters.
• Represents Eversource on various NERC, NPCC, NEPOOL/RTO task forces and committees
• This position also requires availability for off-hour interactions with System Operations, departmental staff and other stakeholders as it relates to supporting the 24X7 operations of Eversource’s control rooms.
Thorough knowledge of transmission and distribution electric system operation.
Thorough knowledge of process computer applications and programming.
Thorough knowledge of T&D control and energy management systems including applications such as state estimation, contingency analysis
Requires understanding of communications and SCADA systems used in the real-time operation of the electric grid.
Requires a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering/Computer Science or related discipline.MS in Engineering/Computer Science or MBA preferred.
Ten (10) to twelve (12) years managing or supervising groups engaged in the operation and design of electric transmission or distribution systems or related activities.
Licenses & Certifications:
• Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
• Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
• Cascade and translate strategies into action plans.
• Communicate goals and priorities (company, department, team); ensure line of sight
• Drive accountability/monitor progress
• Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
• Role model honesty and integrity in all communication and actions
• Balance “getting results” with concern for individual needs
• Have honest dialogue with employees; get to know them
• Track commitments and follow-up
Manage and Develop People
• Create individual development plans with direct reports
• Set realistic performance objectives
• Give ongoing, honest feedback; coach for success
• Differentiate performance and provide rewards and recognition
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
• Surface and address competing goals
• Encourage cooperation/remove obstacles between functions
• Conduct teambuilding/development processes
• Encourage collaboration
• Guide team in translating organizational goals into day-to-day work
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
• Involve employees/seek input in decision making, on continuous improvement ideas and change
• Diversify staff, where possible, in hiring/promotions
• Seek opportunities to utilize diverse suppliers
• Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to successfully develop and implement changes in strategy, priorities and work processes
• Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
• Act optimistically to influence others to embrace change
Focus on the Customer
• Ensure that we have processes in place to deliver on our customer promise and provide superior customer service
• Be a role model for the business on delivering superior customer service
Please submit a resume with your application.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Eversource requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Eversource’s HR department after you have been made a conditional offer of employment. Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment.This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
Already a member? Sign In