Mechanical Engineering Manager
Rugby, United Kingdom | General Electric
Industry:Energy / Renewable Energy / Oil & Gas
Job Description:56 people have viewed this job
GE applies the science and systems of power conversion to help drive the electric transformation of the world's energy infrastructure. Designing and delivering advanced motor, drive and control technologies, we serve specialized sectors such as marine, industry, energy and all related services.
We are looking for a mechanical engineering manager to lead the mechanical design and drafting team within our systems engineering organisation. Based in our UK engineering centre in Rugby, you will be responsible for leading a team of mechanical and electro-mechanical engineers to develop our next generation of electrical drives and distribution equipment for marine, Naval and power generation applications, and to optimise our existing product portfolio to ensure it continues to meet our customer’s needs. You should have a strong background in driving process improvement within a design engineering environment. You will be involved at all stages of the product development process from concept to manufacturing, collaborating with Project Managers, Technical Leads, and other Technical Managers to deliver on customer requirements, as well as acting as line manager to the engineering team, leading and mentoring them to develop a culture of continuous improvement.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Functional leadership of the engineering team, providing feedback and insights to ensure they are aligned to business goals and drive continuous improvement of systems, products and processes.You will be responsible for mentoring, career development and recruitment to ensure we continuously improve performance and maintain our functional expertise.
- Collaborate with the product and project managers to set priorities, manage base cost, and effectively allocate resource per programs and projects requirement.Maintain an appropriate operating rhythm to ensure KPI business targets are met by the team, driving simplification, efficiency, productivity, and overall team performance.
- Responsible for implementing engineering tools and processes to optimise engineering throughput and quality, and for ensuring that DFMA techniques are implemented in the design process.
- Act as a technical point of contact for all mechanical engineering topics related to our drive and switchgear products.
- Developing innovative designs to meet all requirements for performance, reliability, cost and manufacturability for components and electromechanical assemblies with challenging requirements.Create 3D CAD models and 2D drawings in PTC Creo and AutoCAD and create and manage parts and BoMs in Siemens Teamcenter PLM system.
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent, or significant relevant experience in a mechanical design engineering environment.
- A minimum of 10 years relevant engineering experience with good technical knowledge of manufacturing processes, sheetmetal design, DFMA, material science and equipment assembly techniques.
- Demonstrable expertise in developing and implementing engineering processes.
- A strong track record in product development, ideally gained in the electrical equipment or power electronics sectors.
- The ability to interpret electrical schematics and use them to develop suitable mechanical designs.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a people leader or team leader role.
- Excellent proficiency in the use of PTC Creo, or similar 3D CAD software for the creation of 3D part and assembly models and 2D drawings.
- Good engineering, communication, and organisational skills.
- You must be eligible to work in the UK and already possess or be capable of obtaining SC level security clearance.
- Experience of packaging of power electronics equipment.
- Expertise in FEA and CFD, ideally using ANSYS Mechanical and Fluent.
- Experience in the use of AutoCAD & EPlan for production of electrical schematic drawings.
- Experience in the use of Siemens TeamCenter PLM software for BoM creation & management.
- Experience of working with a de-centralised engineering team across international manufacturing sites.
- Willing and flexible to travel internationally.
GE's Power Conversion is at the heart of electrifying tomorrow's energy.
In GE Power Conversion we recognise the value of having wide range of perspectives in decision-making; and we foster an environment where everyone feels that they belong, that their contribution matters and they are able to perform to their full potential, no matter their background, identity or circumstances.
We also understand that not everyone has the same expectations about their jobs, careers and work-life balance therefore we are happy to discuss flexibility requirements.
Relocation Assistance Provided: No
Inclusion & Diversity
At GE Power Conversion, our systems help electrify the world and reduce energy consumption. We are committed to building a more sustainable world for everyone. We aspire to be an inclusive employer, focused on creating a work environment where diversity is encouraged. Join us to see what we can achieve together.
About GE Power Conversion
GE's Power Conversion business applies the science and systems of power conversion to help drive the electric transformation of the world's energy infrastructure. Designing and delivering advanced motor, drive and control technologies that evolve today's industrial processes for a cleaner, more productive future, it serves specialized sectors such as energy, marine, industry and all related services.
Already a member? Sign In