Operations Director, Machining
Fremont, CA, USA | Celestica
Industry:Computer Hardware / Consumer Electronics
Operations / Production
Job Description:56 people have viewed this job
At Celestica, we enable the world's best brands. We build trusted relationships and solve complex technology challenges to help our customers realize greater value, potential and outcomes. Through our recognized customer-centric approach, we partner with leading companies in Aerospace and Defense, Communications, Enterprise, HealthTech, Industrial, Capital Equipment and Energy to deliver solutions for their most complex challenges. We are a leader in high-reliability design, manufacturing and supply chain solutions that brings global expertise at every stage of product development – from the drawing board to full-scale production and after-market services. With talented teams across North America, Europe and Asia, we imagine, develop and deliver a better future with our customers.
Celestica's site in Fremont, California manufactures and supplies precision machined/fabricated parts and assemblies for the semiconductor capital equipment industry. The operations manufacture parts from aluminum, titanium, copper, stainless steels, castings, and other materials. Manufacturing services include prototype, quick-turn, CNC turning and milling, assembly and testing, JIT, and Kanban.
Our sites are ISO 9001 compliant, which is recognized around the world as the model Quality Management System standard.
Provides direct and indirect supervision to subordinate managers and employees performing highly specialized roles in a major function or division/department within medium to large sites. Work requires investigating and resolving a wide variety of highly unusual conditions that carry long-term implications. Requires developing new strategies, policies, practices, methods, programs or techniques and utilizing them to analyze and interpret difficult problems or situations and/or establishing new strategic direction that is site or multi-site specific. Participates with other senior managers to establish strategic plans and objectives. Has overall responsibility for planning, budgeting, implementing and maintaining costs, methods and employees in a functional area. Makes final decisions on administrative and operational matters in area of responsibility. Erroneous decisions will have a serious impact on the overall success of functional, site or company operations. Directs and controls the activities of a broad functional area through several department managers. Assigns objectives, reviews performance and approves employee compensation, coaches for improved performance. Regularly interacts with executives and/or major customers. Interactions normally involve controversial situations, customer negotiations, or influencing and persuading other senior level managers. May represent the organization in public speaking venues and/or community events.
Performs tasks such as, but not limited to, the following:
- Directs the activities of some or all of the following departments responsible for the manufacture of precision machined/fabricated parts and assemblies: purchasing, planning, order fulfillment, production, distribution, facilities management, and asset management.
- Selects employees, assigns objectives, reviews performance and approves employee compensation.
- Coaches for improved performance, approves disciplinary actions and reassigns personnel as necessary to optimize production.
- Establishes, implements and monitors strategic processes to maintain and improve production and production support.
- Plans, manages and controls performance by establishing overall direction and priorities.
- Develops and reviews departmental performance metrics.
- Drives continuous improvements in processes.
- Establishes and manages the departmental budgets.
- Develops strategic planning objectives and communicates those objectives to subordinates.
- Allocates resources and monitors costs, operational expenses and personnel to achieve the goals of the departments.
- Maintains profit and loss accountability.
- Participates on the site management team to help plan and set strategic direction.
- Interfaces with other departments to assess and improve existing processes.
- Supplies information for customer quotes.
- Develops customer specific processes and procedures as required to support the business.
- Coordinates the introduction of new product lines.
- Interfaces with internal and customer design teams on yields, supplier issues, design improvements, testing issues, etc.
- Participates on company world-wide teams to share information, help implement global initiatives, and continuously improve performance in manufacturing areas.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of manufacturing departments and how decisions impact customer satisfaction, product quality, on-time delivery and the profitability of the unit.
- In–depth knowledge of manufacturing, the production process and the tools and equipment used in the process.
- Excellent analytical, negotiation and problem resolution skills.
- Ability to establish manufacturing goals and coordinate a wide variety of resources to meet quality and quantity metrics.
- Ability to evaluate, prioritize and problem solve a variety of tasks to ensure their timely and accurate completion.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide variety of internal and external customers.
- Ability to effectively lead, manage, train and motivate a diverse group of employees to achieve high performance levels within tight time deadlines in a highly dynamic manufacturing environment.
- Extensive experience in World Class Manufacturing/Lean implementation.
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work effectively cross functionally and with other sites to achieve objectives
- Duties of this position are performed in a manufacturing environment with occasional exposure to elements such as noise, dust, chemicals, operating machinery, temperature extremes, etc.
- Duties may require periodic sustained visual concentration on a computer monitor or on numbers and other detailed data.
- Occasional overnight travel is required.
- Above demands are carried out within the local existing Health and Safety guidelines
- Eleven to fourteen years’ relevant experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field, or consideration of an equivalent combination of education and experience.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Celestica’s policy on equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran or disability status, or other characteristics protected by law.
This policy applies to hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral and other aspects of employment and also states that retaliation against a person who files a charge of discrimination, participates in a discrimination proceeding, or otherwise opposes an unlawful employment practice will not be tolerated. All information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Celestica (NYSE, TSX: CLS) enables the world’s best brands. Through our recognized customer-centric approach, we partner with leading companies in Aerospace and Defense, Communications, Enterprise, HealthTech, Industrial, Capital Equipment and Energy to deliver solutions for their most complex challenges. As a leader in design, manufacturing, hardware platform and supply chain solutions, Celestica brings global expertise and insight at every stage of product development – from drawing board to full-scale production and after-market services for products from advanced medical devices, to highly engineered aviation systems, to next-generation hardware platform solutions for the Cloud.
Headquartered in Toronto, with talented teams spanning 40+ locations in 13 countries across the Americas, Europe and Asia, we imagine, develop and deliver a better future with our customers.
Celestica would like to thank all applicants, however, only qualified applicants will be contacted.
Already a member? Sign In